What is I.B.S?

Posted , 4 users are following.

It seems to be a label doctors put onto any disturbance or upset they cannot figure out and many people seem to be quick to embrace the idea this is their problem - even if they really have parasites or a food allergy or something else instead.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

biggrinHi I. Agree with you! I suggest look it up on Internet will give you all the answers. Ps I think your dog looks beautifullxxxbeautifullxxx
    • Posted

Hi Roberta. I always research everything thoroughly and have written a lot about it on my own websites. If you have you will see there are 100 professional opinions on ibs which all contradict each other. People tend to assume that we are all the same so if they are allergic to gluten then bang on about how NOBODY should eat it when the majoirty of people are fine with it.
  • Posted

That's about it Carmel! Years ago I had all the tests,including a tube in an unmentionable place and nothing was found. No Chron's or Diverticulitis no ulcers so I waas told it was IBS. MY own banned food  comes from my own experiences. I once ate a Crunchie bar and suffered so I heven't touched them since.

• Posted

A crunchie bar!

drat.

I could manage without them, but some foods I am addicted to and just have to have at least now and then.

The way I see it is that if they say it is an ulcer they can heal the ulcer but if it is ibs they are telling you to just put up with it forever. I dont believe ibs can be something without cause. THERE MUST BE A CAUSE FOR EVERYTHING. They just dont bother to work out each persons individual cause. So you have to work it out yourself.

• Posted

That's right work it out the hard way. Trouble is you never stop working it out!
    • Posted

Learning a language would be quicker and easier wldnt it. At least then you could get a course or sone cds or do the same as everyone else and see that when you have done lesson 50 you have done the whole lot.
    • Posted

If omly!!! We could get together, invent it and make a million!
    • Posted

LOL. Now there is a good idea. Especially if it was chocolate flavoured.
  • Posted

Hi Carmel,You are right; if the doctor could not find any diagnosis, they will label it as IBS. However it is very sad for doctors to come to this conclusion as IBS itself does not have any diagnostic finding. It has been seen that whenever there is an irritable behaviour of bowels and after having so many investigations including from stool routine up to colonoscopy everything comes normal. Now it comes to individual to check for any relation between your mind set up and illness. Many a times it is seen that, patients with IBS are usually anxious about something. Parasitic infestation can be detected through LAB investigation. Food allergy needs close watch on food that causes illness.

• Posted

I agree with much of what you say but I have known people have ibs who are not stressed or even the sort of people who get stress. Many of them were high achievers who rose about any problem that was sent their way.

So it would not be because of stress in their case. It can also be because the stomach is ultra sensitive and damaged and things set it off too easily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.