What is this ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello there everyone . I regularly come on to this forum as I constantly worry about my symptoms . I am 49 and have come on today . The thing is I have had numerous stomach and anxiety issues . I still have regular cycles although they can be heavy and painful . I haven't been too bad this past week , but this evening after eating my dinner I've had an uncomfortable , full nauseous feeling stomach and hot spells that go as quick as they come . Should I be worried ? Just when I think there is light at the end of the tunnel , I get my appetite back , feel happier , my stomach calms down and seems more normal , I go back to this and the anxiety starts again . Is it all hormonal ? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane,

One way to see if this is hormonal is to track symptoms along with your cycle.  

I think it may be worth charting what days of the month you "get your appetite back, happier, and your stomach calms down.  This might help you figure out when and where the problems occur.

It is very common at your age, that you are producing estrogen, but not the correct amount of progesterone for the last 14 days of your cycle, to balance and offset the estrogen.  This is often why women get heavy cycles with lots of clotting.

So to answer your question in a simple way, yes this all sounds hormonal. 

• Posted

I'm just really wondering if my change in anxiety is hormone related. Because I'm on HRT I have a monthly bleed I don't know what stage I'm at in menopause. Before I started HRT 9 months ago I was having a very light period. I've never had my bloods tested but I wish I could but my doctor says it's not needed. I'm typing this at 01.28 in the morning as I just can't sleep again!

I hope you are ok Gailannie

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I'm sorry the insomia is a problem.  What I can offer you is the standard information.  Generally when our estrogen is higher than what we need, we often feel like we've had some strong cups of coffee, and have difficulty falling asleep.  However since you also have a uterus, I'm assuming you are also on progeterone.  Typically that can be prescribed to be taken at night, as progesterone has a calming effect on our brains.  

Not 100% certain that blood work would be of help, unless there was a glaring problem.  

You might try to slowly reduce your estrogen, or possible increase your progesterone.  But every women is so different on what feels comfortable for her body.  It often is a trial and error process.  

You didn't mention your age.  I also was on HRT in early perimenopause, but found over time I did better without it.  (I was 42) and had fairly regular periods for the next ten years.  

Thanks for asking, and I'm doing ok.  Not where I want to be, but certainly trying.  

• Posted

Last year I asked my doctor for a 'full blood works'. I have a number of health issues and wanted some clues as to what was going on - not just a load of pills! My doctor agreed, I had a fairly full test (as much as the NHS would allow) and I asked for a printout of the results. It put my mind at ease about some things and pointed out where improvements could be made. I'm still not sure what IS going on, but we have ruled out a lot of things.

• Posted

I hadn't finished, facebook butted in!

As for your insomnia, I take a magnesium supplement which helps to relax your muscles and has helped me to STAY asleep!

• Posted

I'm coming up to 47. I use 2 pumps of oestriogel every day and 12 days a month of the progesterone(utrogestan) What HRT were you on?

• Posted

Michelle,

I am older and have been though natural menopause.  Still looking for some answers on HRT.  Right now I am using a .375 patch and 1-2 mg of vaginal progesterone on a cyclical basis (14 days per month).

Can't say that I am feeling normal.  But still willing to give things a try.  I want to resolve my vaginal atrophy and dryness, good sleep, and energy.  I am sleeping all night.  And some of the energy has returned.  What I know for certain is that with enough estrogen in my system, the vaginal dryness is a thing of the past.  But at this moment in time, I'm convinced that the trickle dosing of estrogen through patches is a bad fit for my system. 

• Posted

I'm the exact same way. New Years Eve I ended up in ER I felt really dizzy and off balance and thought I was having a stroke and did CT scan nothing and was told it was vertigo. Scariest thing ever! All year I was starting to feel better.. I have good day and bad! Been through all this pass 3 years. My anxiety comes and goes and the stomach issues calmed a lot and now the New Year and I feel sick!i have episodes of the vertigo a lot and I have to literally go lay down and close my eyes. My periods have been irregular last 2 years and I'm def going through the changes.. just when will it go away. I can't take it anymore! I'm praying everyday for healing! God Bless and just know your not alone! ??

• Posted

Dear Jane

I feel for you, I have had many a day in peri feeling worried and scared of my body changes. Yes peri/meno does affect our digestive system and as I have said on here many times before I lost my appetite, felt nauseous etc and lost weight because I got gastitis in peri. It didn't help that I have a hiatas hernia and the increased acid reflux we get in peri contributed no doubt to my gastitis. I have since learnt that many women get gastitis in peri.Any digestive issue could cause nausea, even just the reflux. I particularly got it in the mornings and I have my bed raised because of my hernia. Hormones affect alot of our bodies in different ways and that includes the digestive system. I never realised that hormones affect our eyes too and I had problems with them too, intolerence to bright lights, migraine auras, dry and watery eyes too! My digestive issue went on for a while, I was put on ppi's to clear the gastitis. I would steer clear of fat and caffeine for a while as these things can make nausea worse. I would advise getting things checked if you get increased pain or discomfort in your tummy area as it could turn into something like I had or you might be lucky it doesn't get that bad xx

• Posted

I don't get pain or anything like that in my stomach just the unsettled , nauseous feelings now and again . I have also had terrible trouble with my sinuses . My nose won't stop streaming sometimes and I have thick phlegm in my throat that disturbs me at night . So many symptoms !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.