What is this?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, 

After reading the forum about heartburn and GERD, I am a bit confused because my symptoms do not really match. Currently i experience a

1) sour/bitter taste in my mouth almost 24/7

2)very occasional choking feel in the the throat

3)fluid when i lie down flat. The fluid is sometimes mild burning and sometimes not.

May I know if there is any expert who knows anything about this?Is it really GERD? I am a bit worried to get any medicine because I read that they are life long medication.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi u have acid reflux  . When u lay down and sleep make sure ur had is high . Put high pillow. And sleep in ur left side always.  Ur sour mouth will go away. It takes  a wile to go.  
    • Posted

Hi can it be cured? Is it a temporary condition? it has been ongoing for about a week out of a sudden
    • Posted

That really depends on if you take care of it early on. Read diets for acid reflux. Take care of it early on and it should go away. 
  • Posted

Is your mouth really dry as well?
    • Posted

i think it is only dry when i sleep. Because i always have the habit of breathing through my mouth
    • Posted

Monitor it throughout the day just Incase. If your mouth gets really dry when you noticed you haven’t eaten it could be silent reflux. Basically there is no heartburn associated with silent reflux however you still get the same symptoms are GERD besides the heartburn. I’m going through it right now. Make sure to take out all acidic food, including tomatoes, caffeine, chocolate, sugars. Don’t take these while using the PPI (omeprazole). The reason is that it’s supposed to suppress the acid and if you eat things that will cause your acid levels to rise the medication won’t be able to do it’s job. If you notice that it’s not working however, you could have low stomach acid, and if that’s the case then try drinking apple cider vinegar (1 tsp of apple cider vinegar with 1/2 cup of water) before each meal, or only in the morning. Also try more probiotics, like yogurt (look up certain brands) or kefir (if you don’t have a bad reaction to it). Look up fermented foods as that helps. Basically, don’t eat horribly while you have this or it will make you need the PPI forever. 

I’m 23 and going through this right now and it’s terrible. 

• Posted

okay, thanks. haha i am 25 and i understand how bad it is
    • Posted

Yeah I know! It’s like I was to eat delicious food cause I’m still young, but then I’ll feel like I’m dying LOL. Anyways, I actually have been using this as my guide to what I can and can’t eat as well as what I have. It’s honestly my favorite thing posted so far because it doesn’t make me paranoid like so many other stories and articles have. https://chrisaram.net/the-lpr-cure-everything-ive-learned

Hope you’re able to get better. smile

• Posted

Haha yea I get what you mean. I have reading too much online til I am scared . Thanks for the help and hope things get better for you as well. Just to let you know , I consulted my family doctor and he recommended me to try Omeprazole for a few weeks. According to him , whether you end up needing it for life varies between people. Some people can just stop taking it once they feel better
    • Posted

Hope this helps you with regards to PPI. Because there are many different versions going around. Some say you will end up needing PPI forever. Which at our age I think it will being a lot of inconvenience
    • Posted

I was prescribed Omeprazole as well through my doctor however it didn’t help me at all because I wasn’t having acid. Once I stopped taking it I didn’t feel any difference from when I was on it. However I have been doing a strict diet which has actually helped me. Get back to me in a week and tell me how you’re doing. smile It may work for you. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hey i am doing well. Currently on medication as recommended by my doctor for 4-6weeks. Most of my symptoms are gone except for very occasional sour taste in mouth. Yup i made some lifestyle changes as well. Such as sleeping on elevated pillow and stop eating after 8pm
  • Posted

Hi! I’m new here. I’ve been reading through a lot of posts and have found some great knowledge for when I go back to the doctor. I was diagnosed with GERD after a scary trip to the ER thinking something was wrong with my heart. I’m on a PPI and have cleaned up my eating and only drink water. 

What are the symptoms you are experiencing? 

• Posted

erm

1) constant sour/bitter taste in mouth

2)occasional feeling of something moving in my chest, no burning feel

3) seem to have white phlegm at the back of my throat which can be expelled though the nose. If you know what i mean

4)occasional lump in throat

• Posted

the doctor currently put me on omeprazole 20mg two times a week . not sure when do i have to eat it till but he gave me 4 weeks worth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.