What is wrong with me?

Posted , 2 users are following.

When I was 7 I was diagnosed with Severe Social Anxiety, and Chronic Depression (or Dysthymia).

I was abused as an adolescent.

When I was 15 I was diagnosed with Personal Identity Disorder, and PTSD.

When I was 20, I was involved in an accident that gave me a concussion, partially collapsed lung, and fractured pelvis. As a result I know have Short Term Memory Amnesia and pelvis is permanently off by 1". I was also re-diagnosed with PTSD, this time due to the accident.

When I was 22 was pregnant, and during the course of the pregnancy felt like I was losing my mind. By the time I gave birth, I had a total melt-down and gave her up for adoption to some friends. (I am very blessed to have them ALL in my life still.)

When I was 24 I was pregnant with my son. At the time, my husband was very supportive. I went to doctors, to find out why I was once again feeling like I was losing my mind.

I was then diagnosed with Epilepsy. I have since experienced Tonic, Atonic, Clonic, Atypical Absence, and Partial seizures.

To recap, here are my diagnoses:

Severe Social Anxiety

Chronic Depression (or Dysthymia)

Personal Identity Disorder


Short Term Memory Amnesia


Doesn't seem so bad when you put it in a list like that.

So here is the issue I'm faced with today.

My son has been diagnosed with a learning disability. If he is not caught up in 3 years, this will most likely be a permanent diagnosis.

He has issues with cognitive, speech, social, and an IQ of 55, which I'm told can improve, but usually settles by age 8 or 9.


0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

  • Posted

    Wow Elzabeta what a list and well done to you for dealing with them all.  I think you need to seek a professional for your son as you dont say whether he All the best xxxx 


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Elzabeta

    Do I take it that your son has either ASD or ADHD?  If so you GP can make a referral to a child development centre for a diagnosis.  I believe your school senco can also do this but if the GP refers it is dealt with in a shorter time scale.  If not I apologise.  I have to say that this is in the UK and not sure if you are int he UK


    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted


      No, I am in US, but the system is similar. I went to a group who speacializes in detecting development issues.

      So far I know he has seperation anxiety. From the IEP that we did, which is basically a plan of action for proper development, we discussed different ways to address hisissues.

      The teacher(s) who get him in school will be aware of the IEP and are required to use it as a guide for teaching my son.

      The issue I'm having is that they didn't really say what was causing this situation, or if he has any specific 'thing'.

      I'm wondering if I should take him to his doctor to further discuss the IEP and see if he needs to be diagnosed with a condition, or just wait and see how things go over the next few years.

      I hear all the time people saying, 'if my parents had only discovered early on what was going on things might be different.'

      I don't want my son to ever have to say that... Who knows, he could be fine one day, but I'm not going to just sit and do nothing. That's not smart to me...

      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up