What is wrong with my settings

Posted , 9 users are following.

My settings are changing, everytime i try to answer the ssetting at the right hand side changes from follow to unfollow, why i got a email from two copies it said follow in pink, when i replied it had changed to unfollow, i dont a lot about computers so am i doing something . also when i send a message i dont think they are going as well.

many thanks

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Just like Eileen explained, when you get notification ( email) about new post, the default is that you are NOT following that subject. As soon as you answer the post the status changes into "Unfollow" and you are offered the option to stop following the subject - that is why status flips back and forth.

-So if you see option " Follow" that means that you are not (yet) following the post and could click on it if you chose so

• If you see "Unfollow" that means that you either had clicked on follow before OR you have posted the response in the thread and system automatically changed to Unfollow status.
    • If you started the post, you are marked as follower and you will have "Unfollow" as an option.

I think I covered all possibilities.

• Posted

I did explain it Margaret - it's been like this for a long time just now it is brighter and more obvious. Those aren't your settings - it's just the general set-up of the site.

• Posted

Hi Margaret,

As Nick has explained the status of the button changes from "Follow" to "Unfollow" whenever you reply to a discussion or start a new one. While the state is "Unfollow", ie you are following a discussion, this means you will receive an email whenever some posts in that discussion. If you click the button to change it to "Follow" this means you are no longer following the discussion so you will not receive emails when someone replies.

Regarding "also when i send a message i dont think they are going as well." - I'm not sure what you mean? Are you referring to posting in discussions or sending private messages?

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan, thanks for your reply, i have sent two posts but dont think they went, it could be me ,

• Posted

Where ignorance is bliss comes to mind here. I tend to leave well enough alone and all seems ok.

"While the state is "Unfollow", ie you are following a discussion, this means you will receive an email whenever some posts in that discussion. If you click the button to change it to "Follow" this means you are no longer following the discussion so you will not receive emails when someone replies."

To my mind that looks contradictory... no I don't mean contradictory; counter intuitive, perhaps.

• Posted

It could be clearer if the words used were: "following" and "not following" ??? (Although I get it.)

• Posted

I can read, its not the wording , its that the settings changed without me touching anything.

• Posted

No, I was just responding to your comment about it being counterintuitive, and agreeing....

• Posted

Or I guess it was Betty quoting someone else.

• Posted

i must confess the site is not as good, too many changes i fear, not always to the good either.

• Posted

To be honest, Margaret, I don't think a single thing about that "upgrade" was an improvement. I now find it so painfully slow my heart sinks if I see a lot of posts and am happy when there are hardly any and that is not a good attitude to have about a forum like this.

• Posted

There is something wrong. I clicked to see this particular question and got a list of questions including this one and had to click again to get here. Before, if we wanted to receive messages we would have to click on it to receive. Now, it is already there but we don't get the messages. It is hard to explain.

• Posted

I do and it is and I fume every time they make ridiculous, pointless changes. Upgrade, reboot, improved. Bah humbug.**!! The original bare bones is all we needed. They need to think of what is the purpose of the programme. It's to allow people to share information and experience and to ask questions. A search facility to allow us to refer to past posts and that's all I need.

The above is copied from my post to another forum and was in reply to someone who has given up coming here as she finds it frustrating. She is not alone and that's a pity. No idea why some of my quote appears in bold. Nothing to do with me. Another tweak perhaps?

• Posted

As the quote mentioned has now disappeared this now doesn't have any sense or meaning. I didn't dream that I'd posted it. It appeared, as I immediately pointed out, with some text in bold and then, within 1 minute was corrected into all plain type.

For the sake of clarity I quoted someone from another forum who no longer comes here because of her frustration with all the glitches.

Perhaps I offended some algorithm!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.