What is your best tip/advice for someone after a tkr?

Posted , 18 users are following.

If you could only give one (1) piece of advice for people recovering from a total knee replacement what would it be? 

My advice would be to be prepared for a long, slow recovery and to not get frustrated. One thing I notice from all these postings is that a huge percentage of people feel they should be doing better than they are (including me) and more than a few are worried something is wrong. Statistics show that 95% of patients are delighted with their recovery at 12 months so unless you're very unlucky, you're doing just fine. Just continue to plod along.

What is your #1 tip? (Just one please)

1 like, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

All you just said is correct.  I am six months out and now realize that I should have done my exercises more faithfully. 
    • Posted

I did mine several times a day untill I got the desired result . Now 19½ and  17½ years later I have had no problems . The physio is very important , but don't over do it . Keep as active as possible , and good luck .

• Posted

G'day Ozziegee,

?After surgery, after dressing removed and once it has been confirmed no infection - then using some sort of oil or gel (I used an Aloe Vera Gel) regularly gently massage the incision line and all around it. it is important to try and prevent scar tissue forming as this will make your exercises more of a battle than they would otherwise be and obviously will work against a speedy healing process.

John

• Posted

I agree , my physio  told me to moisturise the knee and scar , now the scar is hardly noticeable . 
    • Posted

Hi

I am in the U.K. I used bio oil daily my scar is also small and neat

Good healing

• Posted

Hope and pray for the best recovery; and prepare for the worse. Is a long recovery.
  • Posted

Excellent idea for post.....

Be kind to yourself and be kind to your knee!

• Posted

Oh, I would love tohave your contribution to the thread I started "knee surgery hospital horrors and highlights" if you have anything funny which comes to mind!

While the thread went rather "down the pan" quite literally, it did bring a few laughs into the arena! 😀

• Posted

If you go to the knee problems main page there is a tab at the top of all discussions with page numbers on it, so just scroll down to page three. Or you may be able to access it if you select my name as it will be in the discussions part of my profile though I might have dis-enabled the facility to locate it that way!
    • Posted

I wondered exactly the same thing as Ozziegee LOL!  I had NO idea there were such things as 'pages' but then found it.  It was like the boxes on the top right of each post - never noticed those until they were brought to my attention either LOL!  But I'd guess his expression was the same as mine LOL!  'Page 3?????????' LOL!

• Posted

Tears of laughter now LOL!  Literally LOL!  That was my first thought LOL!  I bet it was Ozzie's too LOL!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.