What kind of help is needed

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just need some advice please.  I am 71 years old.  The person I am living with is not dependable and might very well leave within the next couple of months.  I have no children or family to speak of.

When I eventually do have gall bladder surgery, what kind of support will I need at home afterwards?  What is needed if it is done key-hole?  What is needed for open surgery? Just trying to make future plans so I am prepared.

Thanks.  I am in the United States. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you could have someone come over for the first 24 hours that would be good. I needed help just a bit getting up and down for a few because of the gas they inflate in your body. It’s painful first. I was good to move around very slowly on day 3
  • Posted

Everyone is different.  It took 6 days for the gas to dissipate for me.  You will be up and down, but mostly in bed for the first few days. You will also be on pain meds that could make you dizzy and nauseous.  I would suggest 48 hours of in home care, and that's for keyhole surgery.

As for open surgery, you might ask your doctor about a care facility, and explain your circumstances.  Best of luck to you! xx 

• Posted

First of all are you sure you need your gall bladder removed.  If you do need it removed there are certain criteria that would confirm that. If there are cholesterol gall stones that are less than 20mm diameter they can be dissolved with a course of bile acid so why not vresearch that way of dealing with your stones? I did and I still have my gall bladder but was 75 when I dealt with that problem.  I did not have any side effects despite what some say.
  • Posted

Hi heimbca,

Everyone is different of course but with keyhole you should be fine quite quickly.

I live in a town house with 2 flights of stairs I was worried about getting up those but I was released 4 hours after surgery and they were no problem at all. I had no difficulty moving around or getting up and down. I didn't stay in bed just took it easy only really minimal housework for the first week. I had no actual pain from the surgery just a bit sore feeling the first couple of days. I was told no lifting anything heavier than a carton of milk for 12 weeks and I stuck to that pretty much.

Worst thing was 24 hours with discomfort while the gas they inflate with disbursed. I found being mobile helped a lot with that laying in bed made it worse.

Open surgery is a much bigger deal I think here in the UK the hospital stay alone is about 4 days and mobility more challenging initially and the total recovery time is also longer I believe.

Best Wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.