what no drink

Posted , 2 users are following.

cant we drink at all on citalopram, if not why not? is that for the whole time whilst on it? my doctor didnt tell me that.. what are the side effects if i do drink? Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tuesday, it has been my experience that drinking whilst on Citalopram has had no side effects on me personally, but I have read from other users, that they have experienced some nasty ones. I suppose it depends on the individual. Good Luck.
  • Posted

I have been on the tablets for a week and I had two glsses of wine on Friday. I was not druk but could not remember partsof the night and felt really really low the next day. Never Again
  • Posted

Hey there, just thought i'd say that i was out all last night and drank more than i normally do and woke up with a bit of a headache but nothing i couldn't handle, however i've known someone on cit to not be able to drink at all otherwise they'll feel really bad. So it's really about finding your own limits as they may have changed from what you could handle before.
  • Posted

Hi there,

I a psych nurse and I would fully advise you not to drink if taking any form of anti-depressant. You have to remember that alcohol is a depressant and if you are drinking substantial amounts, you are effectively digging your own hole to create low mood. It is also important to remember that both alcohol and Citalopram are DRUGS. Taking this into consideration you could be effecting the drugs therapeutic range (the level in which the drug works effectively within the body). There are a few reasons for this, one being that both drugs are effectively fighting to be processed by the body, this can result in the body being unable to use the anti-depressant. In some forms of medication this can result in drug making individuals ill (extreme cases dying) due to the drug levels raising to a toxic level within the body.

Although it is advised not to drink when taking an anti-depressant, Healthcare professionals are fully aware that people will drink (even in severe cases of depression) and would advise to keep the drinking to a level deemed sensible (a glass or 2 of wine).

• Posted

Hi There

Yes, you can drink on it, but for me it reduced my tolerance to drink, substantially. I felt tipsy after a relatively small amount. All things in moderation.

• Posted

I drank after taking cit for 2 days and just took it easy, i did feel a bit odd after a few sips but i think it was just me worrying! id say 1st drink try at home and see how you feel, you'll have new (im assuming lower!) tolerance levels that you need to be aware of.

personally i feel that if you are a social drinker and you do enjoy a quiet drink out with friends then a drug you are taking should not stop you continuing your life, this will only make us feel worse.

• Posted

Hi!

Ive been on 20mg of citalopram for 5 months now and havent stopped drinking any differently to how i did before! Although i have found that i now get quite alot of memory loss but never drunker or more out of control.

Having said this alcohol is a depressant so really can counteract antidepressants! It effects everyone differently though!

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.