What pain is normal after THR?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi I'm a 47yo female 9 days after left THR. I'm wondering whether aching is a normal pain to have after this type of surgery. I am having lots of trouble sleeping due to waking up with aching in my back, buttocks and thigh. I think I overdid it today and now my left thigh is aching. Currently on Panadeine Forte when needed.

Just want to know if this is normal.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there, sounds pretty normal. EVERYTHING has had pretty major trauma. Listen to yr body, move/exercise little but often. Do yr physio. SLEEP when ever you can.

Good luck with yr recovery. In a few weeks you wont know yrself .

• Posted

completely normal. You are recovering from quite brutal surgery which involved muscles being cut or moved aside to enable the surgeon to get to the joint. The bone head sawn through and removed before the implant was hammered in. Everything was then sewn, stapled or glued back together. Recovery involves aches and pains which come and go until one day you realise that there is none and that you have not thought about your hip for days at a time. Everyone is recovers at a different rate

• Posted

I get pain all over and having to lay in one position makes it very uncomfortable I dont like having to lie in one position all night and every night I have more pain from back buttocks and feet!

I had my right hip done in December last year and my left April 18th and I am still suffering a lot of pain in groin area, plus all the other areas I am told it can take months!!! I do hope you will feel better soon best of luck

• Posted

yes it's normal. keep on top of pain relief is my advice and keep doing the exercises

• Posted

Hi, At 9 days post op I was having a lot of discomfort sleeping as I dont normally sleep on my back and that along with discomfort in my op leg when lying on my back were the biggest issues I had from the whole experience. 9 days is very, very early and the operation is some event for your body. I was amazed how little discomfort/pain I had in view of what took place. I did notice that my body soon told me when I had overdone it which i frequently did..

• Posted

hi I'm 18 days post OP today and it sounds normal and what I experienced. the aches I assumed were muscular and they were worse if I'd done too much but now I'm finding I can do more and exercise more so I dont get the aches as often or as strong. it just takes time and carries so much from people to people. keep on with your painkillers if they're working. the main thing is to move which they help you do.

good luck 😃

• Posted

Your muscles and nerves went through quite a trauma during your operation and it will take some time for them recover and " feel at home ". I had my THR last december and had what seemed to be a normal, trouble free, recovery - but I did find an ache or pain would suddenly appear for no reason, only to disappear again a week or so later. I found that exercises, however gentle, helped tremendously, particularly in the early days. just waggling my feet from side to side, gently moving my hip, not sitting around too long. After five months I now lead an ordinary life but still get twinges of pain - nothing great, but cured by shaking my leg about, with curious stares from people passing by. So I would say that your ache is probably normal - and in a month or so you will be out in the sun and enjoying life.

• Posted

Thank you all for your responses. I think I am expecting too much too soon but its hard to know what is normal and what's not. It is also very difficult being on the younger side of who would normally get this operation and I'm just wanting to feel pain free and go back to living my life as it has been a while since I've been pain free.

• Posted

Hi, as the others have said, it's early days, take it easy. I was lucky, I had a very straightforward recovery, probably partly because I took all my prescribed meds for the first 2 weeks. I think it's important to stay ahead of the pain, so that you can do your exercises and walk around.

Having said that I absolutely hated the nights, Like you, I felt really uncomfortable sleeping on my back, and I had a stiff back every morning.

For most of us, the recovery is gradual, so hang on in there, you should soon begin to feel more comfortable and more mobile. Good luck!

• Posted

That doesnt sound unusual. I am 5 weeks post LTHR and waking up at night and aches similar to yours were regular features in early weeks. Awkward sleeping on back whdn youre not used to it. As youre learning, body is good at letting you know if you over exert! Rest a while now and hopefully you will feel better soon. It is still early days so try not to worry - it gets much better

• Posted

Yes, aching serious pain is normal for weeks after hip replacement ... and yes sleep gets disrupted by pain ...

But doctors should have given you a cocktail of pain medications. I got Oxycontin, Tylenol, a muscle relaxant and an anti-flammatory medication (but not ibuprophen or Alleve) for two weeks after surgery. The combination zapped the pain for me.

After two weeks I was mainly on Tylenol.

Icing is great for the hip ... icing and raising your leg ... didn't they give you some ice packs on discharge? If not, get some ... you can use a plastic bag with ice cubes ... or order something fancier online ...

The rule for icing is ... don't have the ice directly on your skin. Like put a thin cloth between the ice pack and your skin ... do it 40 to 60 minutes ... 4 times a day is great. Icing reduces swelling, reduces inflammation and reduces pain. And place the operated leg on a pillow. There are specific pillows for this, but regular pillows are fine. You want to raise the leg being iced.

If you didn't get adequate meds or just feel you are in too much pain, I recommend you call your surgeon and report the pain. Some surgeons undertreat the pain ... but they will respond quickly when the patient reports severe pain ... and they can make recommendations for icing and so on.

Good pain reduction is central to good recoveries ... People won't walk, won't trust themselves to move if they are in pain ... Surgeons spend a lot of time writing about this and talking about pain at conferences ... not sure what happened in your case.

• Posted

i had a hip pinning 8 weeks ago. the bone is healed, but I AM getting excruciating pain down my leg, shins, knee, thigh etc. you would think the pain would have lessened. i had to stay off my leg totally the first six weeks. why such pain for so long? I GO TO physical therapy...and I STILL HAVE TO TAKE PAIN PILLS.

• Posted

What sort of pain is it? I had similar pains. Once i regularly strerched my hamstring and my husband massaged the muscles in my leg, pain was much better

• Posted

There must be something wrong if you are getting so much pain. Perhaps the physical therapy is not helping. This sometimes happens. I assume it is not sciatica which is extremely painful, in my opinion anyway, but the pain is down the back of the leg. Can you talk to your surgeon?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.