What painkillers are you taking?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been waiting for sixteen months to have bilateral full hip replacement with no bone marrow to soften my walk. My doctor is running out of suggestions because my options are limited. I'm currently on 500mg Codeine and 25 microgram fentanyl at the moment. They cannot increase the dosage because I have asthma. This means I also cannot take ibuprofen and am resistant to tramadol. Any suggestions please?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi I had my hip replacement on the 27 February and take ibuprofen and tramadol they work well for me

• Posted

Thank you for your comments Alan. I hope you're back on your feet with your new hip. As Sylvie mentioned, sadly, both will not work for me.

• Posted

Thank you for your comments Sylvie, and your sharp observation!

• Posted

I am also allergic to ibuprofen and the gave me Novalgin. It worked pretty well for me.

Best regards

• Posted

Hi Dana and thank you for your reply. I will certainly do my research on Novalgin as an option. I just hate that I'm having to do my doctors job on a help forum because it shouldn't be up to me. I really appreciate your feedback!

• Posted

I've had a look at Novalgin now and sadly, like NSAIDs, it can trigger bronchospasm or anaphylaxis, especially in those with asthma, so my doctor would certainly not prescribe them to me 😦

• Posted

I am sorry to hear that you cannot take Novalgin. I also have allergic asthma and the doctors knew it. I did not have any problems taking Novalgin for 3 weeks after the surgery. I understand very well how you feel, I also had pains before the surgery and no options for long term medication. I hope you'll have the surgery soon and everything will be fine!

Best wishes !

• Posted

Thank you Dana. I really don't know what to do any more. The biggest problem is that I need something to use long-term. Climbing up and down two flights of stairs to get from my bedroom to the kitchen also doesn't make my situation any easier, as I'm sure most people would have empathy for 😦

• Posted

Hi have you been offered a morphine such as Zomorph , I have taken this now for 5 years , due to chronic pain . Hip and spine, hip revision and then a fracture of the screws used . i really believe no one should be in pain, I am not drugged up , it does not knock me out as its busy doing its job. I work part time . Zomorph slow release is better for me as others made me sick , its worth a go .

i feel for anyone with long term pain .

hope this helps

• Posted

For bone pain I took hydromorphone.

• Posted

I was given that but had to stop taking it as it made me bad

• Posted

Thank you for your comment Lyn. I'll check that option out too. Not sure if it would be the right one for me as fentanyl is part of the morpheme group. Certainly worth doing my research though!

• Posted

Sorry to hear that hydromorphone made you feel bad Alan! Please can you tell us what your symptoms were whilst using the drug? Tramadol made me as high as a kite, and not the same way recreational drugs do. It was the worst experience ever, so bad, that I had to take two days off work.

• Posted

I've looked at hydromorphone now, but as a respiratory depressor, this would not be the right medication for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.