What's happening to me?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am 17 weeks post TKR. My knee is hurting so badly and I can't stop shaking!

Over this weekend I have had a tummy bug but thought I was over it so I drove my daughter to an appointment. I started to feel hot and had to sit down.

Its 38 outside and my hands are like ice. My head is hot, I can't stay awake. And I can't stop shaking! Why?

Hubby thinks it's post traumatic because my Aunty died on Friday, I'm not so sure because she was 92, and I was expecting it.

1 like, 83 replies

Report / Delete

83 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Caz

sorry to hear that you're feeling so poorly at the moment.  I think it's probably a combination of things, to be honest.

i'm just over 18 weeks TKR and am nowhere near as mobile as I thought I'd be...especially given that I've had a bespoke knee this time.

I have problems straightening my leg, after only sitting for a short time, so using a stick for first few steps...even indoors.  I get a lot of pain under the kneecap...same as I did with last knee.  I think that we just have to look forward...and work on little steps (if you pardon the pun).  I hope that you are getting good physio, as that does make a difference.

Hope you feel better soon, and don't beat yourself up too much.  Don't feel under pressure to do anything for others either.

Patsy

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi patsyrose, thank you for your answer. I thought I was doing really well. My bend is 127 and 0. I came off the painkillers last week.

I felt perfectly ok today, I started to shake as I got out of the car, it hasn't stopped, it's hard to type.

You seem to be having a much harder time of it, I really hope it improves for you soon.

​Caz -17weeks post TKR Pom in Perth Australia

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Caz don't rule out that its just you knee and giving your stick, plus your upset tummy.this op throw up so much which you don't expect. I was like a wobbly jelly on Saturday knee pains ,the lot and I had a good week . Who knows what it is going to throw up next. Hope you feel better soon x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Good morning (at least it is here). Sorry to hear your situation has deteriorated a bit. Learning from my own mistakes, I would caution you to err on the side of being a little overly cautious and getting in to see my primary care doc. As you may recall, in Oct I did a little self diagnosis and it proved to make life a mess and I am having to suffer through it now. Let a doc help you sort things out. I thought I had a stomach bug and it turned out to be a full blown kidney/bladder infection. One thing orthopods are concerned with, infections that will wind up centering in the weakened joint. I was schooled in the process of antibiotics 3 days prior to having any type of dental work that would result in bleeding as that could affect the joint. Hope you are feeling better by now but dont through caution to the wind when your body says something isn't right.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Roland, It's 11.30 pm here now. I am in bed feeling a lot better. Hubby is going to drive me to the doctors tomorrow. I am very familiar with taking anti biopics before dental work, I had rheumatic fever when I was 11 and it damaged my heart, only a little.

Just talking you you guys helps, thanks

Caz x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I had rheumatic fever when I was 14 (back in the dark ages when penicillin was given by injection only.......in a series of 3's. Three straight days, then 3 days off, recheck for the infection, then repeat.) The drug kept covering the infection and it took months to find the RF. I was kept bedfast for 3 months then wasn't allowed back in active sports for a year. No heart damage but gave me can excuse for being being lazy and not too bright. Rarely ever hear of RF in the civilized world any more.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Caz --- sorry to hear you are going through this.  Maybe just a bug going around, or maybe not.  Best fo check with medical just to be on the safe side.  Like others have said this op sends us reeling and we never know what is around the corner.  Best of luck - get well - and keep us up to date.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I would contact your dr since this seems to be unordinary.

I am 8 mnths and 5 mnths post op (bilateral knee replacement 3 mnths apart). Developed tendonitis from overuse of the knees as in doing more than I ever did. I had pain, swelling, felt like knees partially numb/pibs & needles like when foot falls asleep/like a wide rubberband pulling around the knee front to back. Dr gave me cortisone shot in the tendon both knees w/immediate relief of all symptoms except trauma from needle in various places caused swelling and pain/tenderness ABOVE the injection sites. Told to lay off exercise one day, do the ice thing, take Benadryl and Ibuprofen (Tylenol) or Naproxin (Aleve) for a few days. Took til tbe 6th day after to not hurt bit still have somewhat of the numb/stiff/pi s & needles. Told tbis takes anywherr from 6 months to 1 or even 2 years to totally stop. Numbness will go down to area size of a quarter but remain rest of my life. AHH THIS WILL PASS so I hope it helps you to know...no one told me all this until now and I complained from 2 wks after 2nd surgery up til now. Even told phys therapist and was told just keep exercising...go figure. They shoud tell this when it begins and goes on for a few weeks...not wait 5 months.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Wow, you have been through it, two knees, you have my respect. I have a small numb area too that my surgeon says will not go away ever, we will just get used to it.

I do find that if I don't exercise for a day, like Saturday, when I couldn't get out of the loo, that my knee feels stiff the next day. I ride the exercise bike every day, just gently while I watch TV.

Caz x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks.,glad I did tbem. I'm afraid NOT to exercise but even so, my stiffness remains. I also do daily 15 mins on exercise bike, then just up/down stairs and walking around during the day's normal routine. Also have a Kneehab XP so use that on level 3 for 20 mins but not daily. Just wish the tightness/pins & needles would go down to quarter size already!! Months of it 24 hours a day has become extremely annoying and aggravating. Just want to be able to bend my knees/walk w/o that feeling. 8 wks after 1st surgery all was great...it was 2 weeks after 2nd knee replacement that all my swelling, etc. started w/little improvement over past 4 months.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I too peddle the exercise bike every day and I also walk the dog daily.  My Dr recommended that I go walk through Wal-Mart or a mall a few times a week, but I haven't yet done that.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up