What's happening to my head?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Out if the blue, I started getting sharp pains on the right side of my head, just behind and above my ear. The pains are intense, but quick, with no headache noted inbetween. This began several hours ago. Sometimes the pains are close together, sometimes there are several minutes between pain. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, I do know what you are talking about.  I get these because I have cluster headaches

But, if these are new symptoms for you, you need a proper diagnosis to determine what exactly is going on.  Insist on an MRI scan, this will rule out anything sinister going on.  Go to you Dr asap to get a check up and get the referal to a neurologist so you can get a proper treatment plan. 

It may just be a one off occurance so nothing may need to be done, but if you feel it happens more and more, you definitely need that scan.

Good luck and best wishes.

Do keep us updated.

Take care

• Posted

Hi there Scareddcat,

Sounds like you may have Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN) I was diagnosed as suffering that some years ago.  My symptoms came on very quickly and they were sudden, sharp (almost like electric shocks) excruiating pain, that came in spasms, on one side of my face, from just in front of my ear to just around my eye. I was in quite a state, because painkillers did not work. Eventually, after about 5/6 weeks, the pain suddenly stopped and I have not had it since. Not, saying that this is your problem or if this IS diagnosed, that yours will last same length of time as mine, as with most conditions, there are variations and different severities. There are treatments i.e. Carbemazipine (which is actually an anti-convulsant) or anti-depressants are the most commonly prescribed treatments in UK. But, you would need investigative tests too, to see if you have an obvious physical cause to this condition. (I broke my jaw when I was 9 and this may have had played a part in causing my TN) or it may remain a mystery. Hope your problem is sorted soon and treated and gone as quickly as it has come. 

Best Wishes and good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.