what's the point?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, I stumbled across this by chance and I am relieved at having done so. My doctor prescribed me 20mg citalopram yesterday for anxiety,panic attacks and depression, in spite of all the news that came out about antidepressants yesterday. Now I wondering whether there is any point in taking them? There seems to be a long list of hideous side effects, and if they apparently don't work then what sense is there in taking them? I really need something though as I am finding it so difficult to cope. :-( Does anybody think there is any point in me starting to take them? Also is it better to take them of a morning or at night? Which of the two have people found preferable? Please help and thanks in advance. I really am quite scared. Laura x

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You have been prescribed these....if you had tonsilitis and the doctor gave you penicillin....would you take it? smile
  • Posted

Hi Laura

Take them, you have been given them for a good reason. Personally I take 30mg a day and prefer to take them in the morning. I was first prescribed in October for anxiety + depression and they do seem to be helping me. I have had minor side effects but nothing too drastic and am now back at work after 3 months off so I am certain that they have helped me. I would ignore the media coverage and read the posts on \"Your views please\" to which end we have discussed this topic, Lin from the admin team has also posted a statement from the Royal College which you should read. Hope this helps, best wishes

Nicky Jane x

• Posted

I was prescribed 20mg started taking them in the evening but changed to the morning found it much better. The tablets take time to work and the side effects get less I've been taking them for 3 weeks and now I just get hot in bed in the early mornings, feeling a lot better than to weeks ago , the panic/anxiety attacks have almost gone,sleeping a little better.

I've been doing a lot of walking the last 4 days and found that a help.

If I were you I'd listen to your doctor because I couldn't have managed without them.

• Posted

Laura,

As I have said in the last few blogs, no one can tell you for certain which is the best for you. You may need to experiment a little to find the best resolution for you , whether you go morning or night for your tablets.

The one thing I would say is please do not worry about this as it only adds to the anxiety.

:-)

Chris

• Posted

I started off taking mine at 4pm each day. Then tried them at bedtime - now I'm taking them in the morning.

I struggle to eat anything though in a morning - tried this morning taking it on an empty stomach and I was okay.

Melbi x

• Posted

Hi Melbi, I just think my GP MUST think I am a lunatic....but who cares!!! (He seems a good duy anyhow) Quite understanding....not sure about the judging thing though.

Felt soo gutted and feeling soooooooooooo sweaty, its not really the sort of thing you can turn round to your parents and talk about....dont you reckon? My mum has bee through enogh ///// to cope with my///// that i do not want to tell her, but she is soooooooooooooooo over bearing, but at inconsistent times!!!

Told my sis everything tonight. She [b:d57fa07a3c]TOTALLY understands!!! Bless her...I miss her and love her sooooooooooooooooo much!!! My sister was attacked by 7 men in Barcelonia, so what I have been through does not really compare to her grief.....though she refuses to do anything about it, except maybe starve herself, but my sister is the best!! I am trying to prompt her to go and help herself, but at the momwnt she seems happy, so its not for me to say....is it???

I am just scared I am not being believed,,,,,,,,but when someone is in your bed and put :cry: :cry: :cry: :artist: s their hand over your mouth and then leads then down to your neck until you are unconscious ...you know its not fair!!! I want shant say the rest!!!!

I dont know if I have done the right thing....I never ever thought it would torture me......but now it does!!!! :oops: :oops: I think, as well, I told my previous boss that I had been stalked, obviously I did not tell her the rest...none of her business.....I dont know why....she spent 3 yeras telling me to go on the front(ie) window hop! :oops: :cry:

Melbi....do you tink I am going mad!!!!! i am sooooooooooooooo frightened now!!! My Gp asked me if my partner had ever raped me?????? I said\"[/b:d57fa07a3c]NO.....................what a fool...................but he is my childrens father............and he has been through hell with living with me..................I do not think he is horrible....................He has his own problems from childhood to deal with!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO alone and scared, hes coming in mow so I better sign off...............if you ever wnat to talk about you..I would only be tooo glad to open up to you and listen!!!!!!!!!!!!!Lots of love, ([b:d57fa07a3c]I still love the floers...THANK YOU1 bLIS) night hun............dont let the bugs bite :kiss: [/b:d57fa07a3c]

• Posted

Thanks for your replies. It seems the only positive experience I may get from citalopram is shifting the extra few pounds I could do with losing! lol No, I am kidding, but it helps me to try and see the positive side of things. Some of the posts I have read by members of this site touched me beyond belief, you all seem such decent and supportive people. I still haven't taken the first tablet, maybe I will tomorrow, who knows? I don't know how my being on half-inderal capsules/ aka beta-blockers for my panic attacks will work alongside them (although obv the doctor prescribed me both and told me to take them both). Chin up everyone, I am thinking of you all.

Laura x

• Posted

Hey, philosophystudent.............have you studied Nitsche..(or whatever he is called?)......take the pill............in my opinion it helps.IGNORE THE MEDIA, I THINK ITS PURE PROPOGANDA, and remeber it takes as long for a doc to qualify as a lawyer or solicitor.......sooooooooooooooo dont be toooooooo scared, they are on your side!( Well, thats what I think), luv and hugs to you, Tiny Tears! Ps, I know they have side effects....and i think if anyone was going to really suffer....it would have been me......as annadin extra makes me puke!!! :lol: Although I have been known to take packets of annnaddin, but not annadin extra...and I have not been sick! Take care Laura...........dont be soooooo afraid, the mdics are behind you!
  • Posted

No Katy I don't think you are going mad - you are mad - LOL

Only joking.

It is understandable considering what you have been through to be feeling like you do now. Try and be strong and keep up with the councelling - it will help.

I used to come away from mine in a right state some days.

One day I was so bad and it was whizzing it down with rain. A car pulled up and offered me a lift home. Assuming this person knew me I jumped in and chatted away to this guy. Then I realised (a good 10 minutes later) I didnt have a clue who he was!

Thankfully he really was just a good samaritan and dropped me off home saying he hated to see someone in so much distress out on the rain.

Never heard or saw him again!

It does get easier - talking to someone about it and you will find it easier eventually to open up a little more each time. Although I never did really open up about the most inner things that had happened in my life it did help just to have someone listen for an hour a couple of days a week. It became almost like a drug in the end and used to look forward to my visits.

Keep at it Katy - today was the hardest day for you and you did it - so very well done.

love

Melbi x

• Posted

lol Yes I have studied Nietzsche. He is an interesting character I must say, and very random smile I am going to start taking the citalopram on Monday, its my friends birthday on Saturday and I don't want to spoil it. I hate feeling like I am getting in the way of my friends and parents lives etc by being this way. Don't you ever feel like your doctor doesn't listen to you, I always get that impression with mine? From what I have gathered vaguely from a couple of your posts, something that happened to me a few years back has happened to you too. I don't want to make any assumptions though, as it would be silly for me to do so. I have a great deal of respect for you, you seem to be going through/have gone through an awful lot, and even though at times you have felt like giving up, you are still here offering advice and help to others. That is inspiration if ever I have seen it. I don't think you realise your worth from what I can gather. I hope that one day you will wake up and realise it, I bet you have an awful lot of people who care for u. Sorry if I sound a bit soppy, I am just in one of those moods. luv and hugs to you too

Laura x

• Posted

What a lovely thing to say..yes that guy is a very interesting philosopher, though call me mad but I prefer Plato!

I cant sleep, I am very lucky, I guess I have a good GP! he listened today, and said stuff that made a lot of sense..though the words hurt a little! (but I guess the truth is hard to bear!). Philosophystudent, I have been topped up to 30mg citalopram, worrying, but I think I need it , as I can barely walk due to my anxious states that I get myself into. What really bites though is that my Mum went through all that pain last year and I find myself feeling sooooooooooooooooooo hurt that I can hardly manage a cuddle from her. I find my mum very over bearing,,,though at the wrong times!!!!!!!!!! I love her to pieces though and could not bear to be without her................but I cant tell my parents,,,,,that would mean going through the same scenario twice.............nah nah........not doing that!!!That pair should have sorted out their interpersonal communication skills along time ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, ive tried............iam scared........but one day ..hopefully I will be ME AGAIN!!!! THANKS FOR LISTENING, AND IF YOU WANT TO TALK, i WILL BE AT THE OTHER END OF THE COMPUTER.....LUV Tiny tears!x

• Posted

:cry: :cry: :oops: :wah: Thank you Melbi........but I feel worse. I feel like I am being questioned.....yet my doctor did not even do so he just understood! I just feel ashamed i guess, as I have burried it under some filthy carpet for soooooooo long!!! Oh what to do? Anyway, if you want to chat I am here, luv and hugs (if only I could) Tiny Tears!

PS, everytime I walk out from somewhere wher I have asked for help, I just feel miserable,,,,,,then ther are thes model people wlking all over there place with there backs straight and perfect image! I just do not kno who I am? Oh welll...maybe one day! Katyx

• Posted

Just food for thought...but did that guy Naitzche ...not do that philosophical metaphor about the girl/woman on the bike??? Did some guy fall for her, obsessed over her while she cycled...then explores a relation with her...I cant remeber who dumps who...but when the girl/woman gets back on her bike.......does the fella fall for her??? Or have I got this wrong ,was it someone else???

Anyway....I still have that quote by R D Laing...going around my head about\" whether or not there is an invisible cat in that chair?\" :lol: :lol: :lol: Take care, tiny Tearsx

• Posted

To be honest Tiny Tears I haven't a clue! :-s Sounds like you know more about philosophy than me and I am doing a degree in it!!!!!! It wouldn't surprise me if it was Nietzsche though! How are you anyway? Hope your weekend was better than you expected it to be. Maybe I can give you some of my Philosophy work to do, to take your mind of things. :P I went home for the weekend. Does anybody have msn? It's much easier to chat on msn than this :idea:

Laura xx

• Posted

:lol: (I could not do your work....I am to duh!!!), :lol:

Cant even spell!!! I am doing okay.....I only feel really down when I am out on my own, my appetite is starting to sort its self out though, (but I am frightened about gaining pounds on the extra 10mgs). I have lost my bravado to go back to the doctors, but really i feel he is probably the onlly person that could possibly help me! I just dont like going....its not like I am dying!!!!!! My lows are really low now, and my body tenses up easily, sometimes I shake, but I feel that I am getting my sense of humour back, ....phew!!!...... :shock:

How are you philosophystudent??? Are you feeling better??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.