What’s up with my eyes after cataract surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

i have had cataract surgery on both of my eyes within the last few weeks ( eyes done 2 weeks apart).MY left eye, dominant eye was corrected for distance. i was amazed at how crystal clear everything seemed. Two weeks later, last week, my right eye was done for near vision, reading. i am so upset. i cant read, blurred vision. i cannot see distance clearly. i spoke to my doctor and he told me that it takes time for the brain to coordinate and that i would be able to see without my glasses and read. That does not seem to be happening. i need to add that i am extremely nearsighted, 70 years old and have worn glasses for my entire life. My doctor recommended using lasers for accuracy ( which cost $1000 per eye, out of pocket).

I see him next week and hope i can get new glasses prescribed to help me read and see distance. this has been an extremely depressing experience.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor gave you monovision. One eye set for distance, one eye set for near. Did you have a monovision set up before, as in contacts? You have been given a whole new way of seeing, it may take a while for your brain to adjust, although some people find this hard to adjust to. You are so close out of surgery that healing is still taking place and your vision is still settling in. You won't be able to see distance clearly with the near eye and your reading vision should improve with a little time.

I'm sorry this is so distressful for you. I'm also sorry he talked you into using laser assisted surgery. From my reading the outcomes are not any better than traditional surgery.

Find out what your refraction (20/20, 20/30 etc) at distance and near, is in your eyes at your next visit, it is possible your refraction is off, but remember as the eye heals this can change.

Wishing you the best.

• Posted

Hi Ellen - I can imagine how frustrated you are!! I struggled for about four months with my sight after having a vitrectomy in my dominant eye. The surgery left the vision in that eye blurry due to a fast forming cataract (a side effect of this surgery). My "lazy" eye (as I like to call it) was not happy having to suddenly do all the "work" with my vision. It was annoying and frightening at the same time. It took about four months for my brain to finally "convince" the non-dominant eye that it was now in charge. The conflict between the two eyes seems to have settled down though. So, I imagine that your brain will at some point adjust your vision so that you're seeing properly and without any issues. It just takes patience for the healing process and visual adjustments. You should definitely reach out to you surgeon in any case. And I'll likely need you to remind me about this after I have cataract surgery and my dominant eye will be able to see clearly again. Will it "fight" to be dominant again? lol

• Posted

i think you are correct. I am having a rivalry between eyes right now. Hoping my brain adjusts to my right surgical eyehaving better vision than left. I'm getting some double vision and problems with depth perception. i'm 8 weeks out from cataract surgery on my right eye. Each eye good separately...but not so great at working together especially in low light with high contrast images like signs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.