What’s up with the hair shedding?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm 54 and having most of the wonderful side effects of menopause. The one that is the most upsetting is the hair shedding!

Does it ever stop shedding? 😦

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm 47 and only in peri and having tons of shedding last few months. You are lucky you had no symptoms until 54! I wish I wasn't in perimenopause so early and at least had until 50 with no peri or symptoms. But I've heard it's normal and does stop. Though I am trying this special treatment by Alterna densifying shampoo and leave-in treatment. Other people have mentioned using other anti-hair loss shampoos you can find online and in Ulta. I'm not sure yet if it works after only a week.

• Posted

Same problem here. I have read somewhere that Biotin supplement helps with hair loss. I am trying it, waiting to see if there is any improvement. I started it just last week.

• Posted

Can i ask what strength/dosage of Biotin you're taking?

Thank you!

• Posted

I've been taking Biotin as well for at least 2 weeks not sure helping. I just take one a day of the dose. I think it's 5000mcg.

• Posted

Biotin is great but be careful because it does put on weight and give major cystic acne. I know this because 2 yrs ago i took 5000mcg daily and yes it did grow my hair but the downside of the weight gain and acne had me stop for awhile. I gained 15lbs in 2 months and had cystic acne . I now take 1000mcg three days a week. Monday, Wednesday and Friday with no side effects. Start with a low dosage especially with our hormonal changes.

• Posted

Me too... so upsetting. I'm 47 and it started around 4 years ago... 😦

• Posted

ive had bad hair shedding i mean coming out in handfuls for a few years my hair has thinned bad. i started using a shampoo a few weeks ago that has made a huge difference im not shedding much at all now hoping it gets thicker as i keep using it. ill send a private message to anyone who wants yo try the shampoo just let me know.

• Posted

please let me know as well. I tried one and it left my long hair extra stringy and dry.

• Posted

Thanks. I'd like to know in case the one I'm using doesn't work. I've only been using it a week so not sure.

• Posted

i sent private messages hope it helps you ladies as it is me

• Posted

I have had the major shedding for several years now and it's heartbreaking. I used to have thick, beautiful naturally wavy hair that I air dry. Now it is dry, brittle and noticeably thin near the forehead.

Does anyone notice the massive shedding is cyclical? For me, it seems to be worse around the time I should be ovulating and several days before menstruation, which coincides with when my other symptoms flare up.

I think it must be fluctuating estrogen but the hormone labs I have had are "normal ". I am only 42, hair shedding and low libido have been going on since mid 30s , at 40 is when all the other b.s. symptoms started.

It amazes me that finding answers or care is so difficult, every Dr. says you are too young for hormone issues/menopause and it's depression, anxiety, etc. yet our lives are perfectly fine until this crap kicks in and we have no answers.

Sorry for the venting, just wondering if we will ever feel alive and vibrant again.

• Posted

It's not stress that's such BS. I have been hella stressed at many times when I've been younger and never had this kind of shedding. I only had something similar when I was on a hormone blocker to shrink a fibroid. You need a good doctor but I now that seems impossible to find for hormones. I'm still looking ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.