What’s wrong with my liver?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had a history of above average GGT but on my recent test it had increased from 91 in 2016 to 200! I am having a bit of a freak out. Going for an utrasound tomorrow and some more blood tests but has anyone had it be this high before and still been okay? I’ll be honest, after two family deaths since March I have been eating a fair bit of junk food and drinking more than usual. Do you think it’s likely to be just that? I am 34 and female  and weigh 70kg. I’m 161cm tall. Also this might be of importance: I was on the keto diet for all of 2017. I don’t smoke. I take 100mg of Zoloft daily and a women’s multi vitamin 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hope your ultrasound went well.  Pharmaceutical anti-D's can raise GGT a bit, & 200 isn't alarmingly high.  100mg Zoloft is a fairly high dose.  You might ask your doc about a trial, tapering down to 50mg to see if this would work.  

Women's multi's often contain iron, which can raise GGT if an accumulation occurs.  If you're menstruating regularly, you shouldn't have a problem with iron accumulation, but if you've had a hysterectomy, ablation, or are on hormonal BC that stops or greatly reduces menstruation, then daily supplemental iron may not be wise.  A "Ferritin" blood test is the best way to determine whether stored iron is accumulating to inflammatory levels.  It's a dirt cheap test, & your doc shouldn't mind adding it to your next blood labs.  The upper limit for the normal range for ferritin is set quite high by most labs (200 for females), but this is the threshold for clinical iron overload.  "Optimal" levels for ferritin are actually in the 50 to 100 range.  

I believe the keto diet is actually liver friendly.  Liver's love fats & protein, & hate excess carbs & sugar.  

GGT can go into the thousands during viral Hepatitis A, and most of these patients have a full recovery.  This isn't the sort of thing you want going on long term though, so hope you can get to the bottom of this. 

A lecithin supplement can often calm down an angry liver. Choline is the liver's favorite nutrient, & phosphatidylcholine (aka Lecithin) is the liver's favorite form of choline.  You might ask your doc if it might be OK to try supplementing with Lecithin to see if it might bring your GGT down.  

Hope you get a good report on your ultrasound!  

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. It actually made me feel much better! 

I am relieved that keto can’t have stuffed up my liver and I will definitely ask my dr about the lecithin! As for the Zoloft - I would love to come down to 50mg but it just isn’t the right time. Both my husband and I have lost a parent in the last few months so my mental health isn’t that great. One day though for sure. My Dad had heamochromotosis (spelling?) so I have been tested for that and the iron levels were done in my last lot of tests too and were fine. I should get the results Monday so just a waiting game now I guess 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.