What should I be doing/getting before THR? Any hints and tips?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Thanks to advice on this forum I have now decided to have a THR. Just wondering what I should be doing or getting ready before the surgery? Any things I should be getting to aid my recovery or make things a little easier?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As much exercise as you can bear to do with the pain, the fitter you are the quicker your recovery. I appreciate this might be almost nil, but even the smallest amount to keep your muscles strong is worth doing.

Freezing dinners so you have plenty of meals that are full of vitamins and are good for you. You are not going to easily be able to cook for yourself on crutches. 

Get your spring clean done in your house - enlist help if you can. Family and friends so your house is sparkling and it is one less thing to worry about when you come back.

Prepare your home with aids, and make sure your bed is the right height and you have chairs ready that are all quite high

Write ten good reasons why you are doing this, and what your goal will be when it is fixed. It is good to go back to if you start to feel nervous.

Keep a diary - I wish I had, amazing to see your progress

Send out all birthday cards/presents now so you have just your recovery to think about.

Think twice about making arrangements to see anyone in the first three weeks, you are likely to feel tired.

Good books, films and DVD, box sets all ready and waiting 

Comfortable clothes for your return home and a few months after. Leggings in extra large size so they are not tight, tunic tops, baggy summer dresses that sort of thing

Know in your heart it will all be worth it! 

• Posted

Hi, I had this done 3 weeks ago and to prepare I went to the gym 4 days a week and took various classes. I feel it's made a massive difference to my recovery (even though I've nothing to compare it to) but I was out of hospital after 2 days. Since then I've hit the 12 week exercise targets and feel like I'm back to normal, no pain, no crutches, bit stiff in morning but otherwise pretty good. I think my overall fitness and muscle strength from persevering at the gym made the process so much easier. I felt at the time that I was in pain anyway so might as well exercise (strange thing being that once I started at gym nothing hurt again).

I've pretty much been on my own since getting out apart from visitors but kids have been at school/college so had to manage and if I'm honest it's not been that difficult. Saying all that I'm only 46 years old and have no other health issues. Good luck with everything ??

• Posted

Thanks kirsty. At the moment I'm doing short walks every day and aqua fit once a week. That's about all i'm able for at the moment. Hope its enough as having surgery in June.

• Posted

I have pain in my left hip which will need surgery soon - and I also go to the gym four times a week, the pain in my hip is quite intense, but as you said Kirsty we are in pain anyway - I just turn the music up so I can't hear myself think!

My husband tells me not to do so much as I am limping quite badly at the end of some days - but we know it is so much better to go into this with peak fitness and it makes me feel so good when I am there. I feel alive and well when I am at the gym, totally love going as much as I can.

Did you find the cross trainer made things worse? What did you do towards the end? I have been told by my consultant not to run and wear out new hip too early - so running machine is out as I find it SO boring on the treadmill without running. What did you do pre op? Some ideas would be great to vary the work out.

I am 42 and had my first THP 18 months ago - and so have been through the surgery so know what to expect for next time but this time I am enjoying the gym to the last minute - I do understand Sinead's situation as at the end I couldn't even get in the car much less to the gym. Good reason to get it done sooner rather than later. 

• Posted

Hi Rose. I just did classes 4 times a week so circuits. Pump, and a couple of others. I've also been doing pole exercise for 2 years too, I'm super bad at it but good for fitness. Hoping I can go back to gym after seen surgeon 24th but guessing I won't be able to do the classes just some of the machines which I find dull but least it's exercise. I'll ask advice at appointment - I think he will let me return as I can do all exercises up to week 12 that I was given.

Looking forward to getting some proper exercise back in my life!!

I don't envy you a second thr however I think you might notice the difference recovery wise as you've continued with exercise longer. And you also have knowledge of how it is which should also be an advantage. Good luck 🍀

• Posted

I agree totally with Rose and Kirsty but would just add do get a raised loo seat with frame so that your risk of dislocation is reduced. I've just booked one for my hip revision surgery planned next month unless it's again delayed.

Good luck

Richard

• Posted

Yes, you'll need a hip kit for sure, your Physical therapist will know what that is .

A valco shoes.

• Posted

Hi Sinead, probably velcro? I had some loose slip on shoes that I wore. I had my hip replaced last July, I think it's easier being a summer hippie. You can wear less clothes... I wore dresses for most of the first 6 weeks, easier than trousers, and I didn't need socks. (Though you will probably have to wear the Ted socks at the beginning) Also when it's warm you feel more inclined to go out walking.

I think everyone's given great advice already. Good luck!

• Posted

aww that makes more sense. I'm using slip on sketchers at the moment and they are great!

• Posted

hi sinead, 

congratulations on making the decision ...

you are so lucky to have found this forum before your surgery ... I was clueless and went with what the pamphlet listed ---

here, however, you get the practical stuff ...

for furhter info please visit 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-     scroll allnthe way down to : 487147 where you find the web site created by one of our valued members, based on tips and information from fellow forum members ...

and of course, always come back here -

do you have a surgery date yet?

big warm hug -

renee

• Posted

thanks! yes this forum is so helpful! No date set yet...just been told it will be early june smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.