What should I do?!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had stomach issues my whole life. I had problems with my intestines ever since I was born. And I am just done. I can’t take it anymore. I so sick and tired of being sick and tired all the time. And being in pain and missing out on everything because I can’t even leave the bathroom. Or leaving class when I have a IBS attack and almost have a diarrhea accident. I’m just done. I have been in so much the last few weeks. And my anxiety is through the roof. And I’m just ready to live a life knowing I’m not fighting an unwinnable battle. But I keep telling myself. This is me, this is who I am and I need to make the best of this. But. The other day I had a talk with some fiends about how I want to just remove my colon and then it will be better. We were joking about them trading their colons for mine so I could be happy. They were so funny and sweet. But even though I know we were joking. I wonder, can I actually remove my colon and my spastic colon syndrome will be better? I know it’s possible to live without a colon. I just wanna know if I can live a ibs free life.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi makenna, i can understand how you feel because i am sick so often i have got really bored of it too. I don't if you can live without your colon i have actually asked my doctor about taking my bowel or a section of it out. I do understand, it drags you down doesn't it? I wish you luck, maybe we'll get a magic pill one day to help us to cope. Do you find you get physically ill with it and depressed? You can pm me if it's easier.

• Posted

Sam, Thanks so much, i really do hope one day scientists find a pill for us to take and we will all be healed up, that would be a blessing!

but i dont think i get depressed from this. I'm generally always a happy and optimistic person. My anxiety does go crazy. And when that happens, so does my stomach. and with that I do feel physically ill. I just want to be cured you know? I’m thinking of looking more into more about my colon. What did your doctor say when you asked about taking a section of your colon out?

• Posted

Hi makenna, it would be easier if they created a pill to fix this, i am awaiting a coeliac screening test but despite the result if it says they can readjust my diet completely and if not let's see what they do. Either way I still need treating for whatever symptoms i have. When i asked my doctor about removing part of my bowel she said she couldn't do it when i said i could admit myself in to hospital she said she wouldn't want to deal with the massive scar. I asked what was the point in keeping part of me that didn't work, she couldn't answer this!

• Posted

You absolutely can live without your colon. its done everyday, however it takes a lot for a doctor to sign off on that. The result is attaching your intestine through a hole mare in your abdominal wall and carrying a plastic bag around everyday. Accidents can and will happen. Now....i havent had this procedure done but i have a friend who has. He says things get messy and the bag falls off sometimes. I do have a lazy colon

but idont think i couldgo through life like my friend. He say he wishes he never had itdone. Of course everyone is different.

• Posted

Hi Jeremy, one of my friends has a stoma bag and if this is the sort of thing you are talking about then i agree it's sounds terrible! I joke with my doctor about taking my colon out for a reason, at times my bowel hurts so much. If it doesn't work my point is what's the point in having it? Got a coeliac test coming up, may be it's that. Who knows i just want to know, that's it, if it isn't what is it?

• Posted

The cause of my lazy colon has never been found. I suspect nerve damage somehow. I eat gluten and allergy free, digestive enzymes and probiotics. Not really sure...but ill say this. My friend did say he thought having it removed would be so much better. Now. he says his nonfunctioning colon was better than what he deals with now. But as i said, everyones different. My bowel ovements can be once a day...then once every three days. Its crazy and no rhyme or reason to it

• Posted

That makes sense. Removing my colon or a section of it. Is just something ive been thinking about. but if i did. would it worsen or make my IBS symptoms better?

• Posted

Thanks Jeremy for your reply, i don't know what this is. I will take doctor's advice when i know what this is.

• Posted

i will say this. ..after my colonoscopy, my gastro tagged me with ibs. Then told me my colon doesnt work. I told him then...thats not ibs. Thats a dysfunctional colon. I asked him on what grounds my ibs was diagnosed ...he said that he couldnt find anything else. After me and my wife continued to push.....we were told nerve damage...thats not usually indicative of an ibs diagnosis . To make that more complicated...my gastro wanted to immediately remove my colon and told me i had zero chance of mycolon getting any better. Im 2 years after that....i still get backed up at times but through foods , probiotics , and enzymes ...im able to function pretty regularly. I cant tell you and would not tell you not to listen to your doctor but dont be afraidto listen to yourself. Two gastros wanted my colon gone, but here I am . Ive met others too who share my stor

• Posted

Hey makenna, I am sorry you have to go through this much of suffering that u want to remove your colon. Well, colon removal is not indicated for IBS, And colon is also an important organ. Mainly it is removed in conditions like IBD or cancer or if u have hereditary polyposis etc. Honestly, We are all lucky here that we don't have those conditions mentioned above.

I am sure you must have tried everything for your condition.

First of all if anxiety plays a big role in your life then I would suggest you should see a psychiatrist, I did the same, He prescribed me sertralin and believe me it helped me, As there is a strong association between gut and mind.

Another thing you can show some GOOD naturopathic doctor, who has experience to deal with this kind of conditions, I did it and believe me it helped me a lot, My symptoms reduced significantly. As allopathy doesn't have any cure for this condition, You can always try alternative route.

Strictly follow the life style and diet as your naturopathic doctor would say. For long term anxiety management do yoga and meditation, that will help you to increase your vagal tone which is the main nerve supplies your gut. I hope if you can do these you will see good difference in your life and you will start loving your colon.

Another thing as we are exposed to so many antibiotics, that it disturbs our gut bacteria, So have good probiotics everyday, Yogurt is a good source. And keep checking your different vitamins level, As we have gut conditions so we tend to have vitamin deficiencies, especially look for vitamin d and b12 deficiencies.

• Posted

Don't consider removing your colon; this should not be done unless absolutely necessary.Put these thoughts out of your head. IBS can be managed by diet, antispasmodics and stress management techniques. Try these less drastic techniques first and do not despair or be anxious. I have IBS and I am in remission. Ask your doctor for a good antispasmodic like Buscopan and try Imodium. Look into the Fodmap Diet.Keep telling yourself you can win against IBS. Listen to what your doctor recommends for you; he is the expert. Your anxiety will make your IBS worse. Try relaxation techniques like deep breathing or ask your doctor for relaxation therapy to help you to stay calm. Calmness is the key to managing IBS. You can live well with IBS and with your colon.

• Posted

Ask your GP to refer you. I nearly thought of asking to see pain clinic for my neuralgia but I have since found that hot weather stops the pain and tingling and wet weather triggers it so I have found a solution that works for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.