What to do?!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I posted recently about getting decapeptyl injections to shrink my fibroid. I saw a private consultant today who said his advice would be to continue with this in the first instance since I want to have a baby soon. I have bled constantly since my first injection 8 weeks ago. He said this is because I am still taking norethisterone and if I stop I will have a big bleed and then the bleeding should stop. I am not optimistic as nothing seems to ever stop me from bleeding! He said he could do a laparoscopic myomectomy but thinks I should try pregnancy first as this can lead to scarring of the womb etc and a small risk of hysterectomy. I have already decided that if I am still bleeding after next 4 weeks, I want to go through with the myomectomy as I just can do this much longer. I am severely anaemic and I need a break. But I am so desperate to have a baby and don't know what is for the best. Can people please let me know their experiences (especially people who managed to conceive) and help with my decision? I feel so upset tonight that there is not a quick fix to my problem. I just want it over with. The doctor said that after the last injection we will have a 6 month window to get pregnant before the fibroid grows back. I just feel it is so much pressure. And when it grows back, I'm back at square one.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I have replied to your other post as well. I am 35 and no kids yet and in july had a laparoscopic myomectomy to remove a 8cm fibroid plus other 3 without any drugs to shrink it. You said you went private, so perhaps you should shop around until you find a doctor who knows better. The options given by the doctors are based on their skills, not exactly on the situation. 

I cant comment on the bleeding as is something that you have to decide, but I can tell you from what I have read and heard in other groups, getting pregnant (if you can) with fibroids it may be risky as you may have a miscarriage, something that the monsters inside us are doing. 

With regards to the operation damaging the womb, I can tell you that it WILL ONLY happen if the doctor is not competent in keyhole surgery and sutures. 

Removing fibroids should RESTORE fertility not DAMAGE. The risks for hysterectomy if the operation is done by an experienced doctor is very small, less than 1%. 

For the anaemia, you need to take iron as it will be better for your operation, so speak with your GP about. 

The injection may not WORK, to shrink the fibroids enough. If you are on fb, look for fibroids groups, where you can hear more stories. I am in one called Endometriosis, fibroids, cysts and infertility treatment support group. 

If you want a longer time free of fibroids, is only operation, no drugs or other methods I am afraid. 

After 3 months, my uterus is now healed and I am clear to conceive naturally. From my experience and from other stories, the best way to make sure you can conceive weather natural or IVF if you have an operation, you have more chances. You can try with the fibroids but you don't know if will work. 

All the above, is just my opinion based on my personal experience with fibroids and a few persons that I got to talk to on fb. 

Whatever you decide, all the best. 

• Posted

There is a chance of miscarriage with any pregnancy to be fair. My consultant comes highly recommended and has operated on a couple of people I know with great success. They still have to tell you about any risks though as all surgery comes with risks. Any surgeon who claims otherwise is not worth their salt in my opinion. The risks are incredibly small but I think I would rather try do things naturally before I revert to surgery. I thought a lot about it last night and I'm happy in the knowledge that the option of the keyhole is there if I change my mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.