What to expect?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi had a fall 4 weeks ago resulting a broken ankle had surgery with plate and 3 screws. I'm in a cast with NWB and have appointment in 2 weeks. Would like an idea wot happens next and how long it will take to get a life back, feeling so down with it all! Many thanks

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have 2 plates and 12 pins/screws and am 13wks post op. I was NWB in cast for 3 wks followed by another 3 wks in a walking boot PWB then another 2 wks to try to get to FWB then into a shoe. When wearing walking boot I was allowed to remove it for short periods and try to flex my ankle but had to sleep in it. I was terrified at the thought of FWB in a shoe but the hospital were really pleased at how it healed and they were right, tho I couldn't get any of my shoes to fit so had to buy a size bigger trainer. I've been doing physio now for about 5 weeks and my ankle is still really stiff in the morning and gets swollen as the day goes on but I'm now just using 1 crutch indoors and can get in and out of bath and shower on my own. Totally understand how down u will be feeling and I still get times when I think I'll never get back to normal but that's to be expected. I'm still not able to drive and not back at work yet but just concentrating on doing my physio and getting range or movement back in ankle and building the strength in it. My husband says that he can see me improving day by day but I think because it's taking so long I tend not to see it and I get frustrated and impatient. I wish u well with ur recovery. U will get there. Take care.

• Posted

Thank you! It just seems such a slow process, having 4 young children makes it hard that I can't do much for them. Hopefully in 2 weeks after appointment I can get about better x
  • Posted

Hi. Its 10 weeks today that I slipped getting out of the shower, its 8 weeks post op, which required 3 pins to my ankle. I was told initially 2 months to recovery but still am unable to walk unaided by crutches, and still not had physio. I'm unable to work or drive, and my ankle is still swollen and stiff.

I get frustrated that I can't do the basics in life that we all take for granted.

Its normal to feel depressed and to think that you will never walk again, unfortunately the healing, walking and getting back to normality is a long process that you can do anything about. I'm sorry it not good news, but reality. This forum is really good, as you can get tips and support from people going through the same ordeal as yourself. I hope you have a speedy recovery and good luck 

• Posted

Hi hope you are feeling better! Did you have a boot after your cast came off and still using it? I guess every case is different...just wish I knew what will happen how soon etc....think I'm getting a little unpatient!
  • Posted

Hi -I broke my ankle just over 4 weeks ago so I feel your pain!  My break was stable so I was very grateful not to need surgery but I am still on crutches and haven't been given any guidance on when & how I should start walking.  It's still very painful and feels like it's bleeding inside if I try to put weight on it.  I know what you mean about getting your life back - isn't it amazing what you actually can't do when you're on crutches and how your independence just totally disappears.  It's really opened my eyes to how difficult life is for people who are permanently in a wheelchair/on crutches and also, people who have nobody to help them.  I just don't think I could cope without my husband and friends - it's the logistics of things like getting children to school/doing shopping/showering, the list goes on and on.   I'm trying really hard not to feel sorry for myself and to feel lucky that my ankle will, eventually, improve.  Having said that, there are days when I just feel so miserable with it all that I can't even be bothered to get dressed!  Good luck with it all :-)
    • Posted

Hi hope you are doing ok. Ye think.it's the unknown that's hard. Some days are hard everyone is off doing things and your not able to do the simplest of things. I'm hoping next appointment in 2 weeks I can put weight on left hopefully then can get about a bit more and move back home, as we have had to stay with family for help etc. Wish u to a good recovery!
  • Posted

The first couple weeks are the hardest. It's a whole new lifestyle, but it will get better. I broke my left ankle 2 months ago. Surgery Oct 9th ,plate and 7 screws. I have been weight bearing as tolerated with crutches for 6 weeks. Everything seems to going well except for the pins n needles feelings in my foot. Everyone is different when it comes to healing, just listen to your doc and stay positive.
  • Posted

Might be different for everyone based on their break. I had 2 plates, 9 screws and was nwb for three months. I had broken my ankle longitudinally and through the joint surface though. It still swells almost two years later and is sore sometimes but nothing horrible ( the swelling gets bad though when I'm on my feet all day. ).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.