What to expect? Stage 3 Diagnosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

This week has dealt my family a huge blow. My amazing mother hadn't been feeling 100% and since she is a nurse she did the right thing and booked an appointment with her doctor. Well, to cut a long story short, on Thursday she was diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer.

It was such a huge shock to us, mum has always been the most healthy person I've ever met, she has always been vegetarian, if not vegan, she's super active, goes horse riding, and now this.

She was meant to have surgery but further tests showed that it had spread more than first thought. Mum will be going to hospital for Chemotherapy this coming week.

I just don't know enough and would like to know what to expect?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Do you know what chemo she'll be having?

• Posted

I honesty can't remember. I will have to ask mum.

• Posted

I took mum to her chemo appointment and the nurse said Gemcitabine (Gemzar). 
    • Posted

They probably told you what you need to know but anyway... gemcitabine is given as a drip over about 30-60 minutes. She may get some fluids after. It has similar side effects to other chemo-nausea, anaemia, fatigue, loss of apetite and blood taking longer to clot. She'll have weekly blood tests to check for anaemia and platelet count, and if any of these get low the chemo will be reduced in dose or postponed for a few weeks.

• Posted

Hey thanks, 

How soon can you tell if it's working? 

• Posted

That's a hard one. Most chemo takes a couple of cycles but sometimes disease responds after fewer, sometimes takes more. It all depends on the particular grafe/type of disease.

The oncologist will keep an eye on the bloods and will request repeat scans when they feel enough time has passed to be able to see a difference.

• Posted

Hi

I don't have any experience with this directly

But there are a lot of natural herbs and spices

Like turmeric (antioxidants)

That can help ease the side effects of chemo and/or radiation

Please consider integrative cancer care

• Posted

If you only want to go

The mainstream medicine route

There is also immunotherapy

It often works really well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.