What was your experience with PAE?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am considering the PAE for my enlarged prostate. Anyone had that procedure and what was your experience?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Mine didn't help - most likely because I have an enlarged median lobe and their results are much worse in such cases.

Do you have an enlarged median lobe?

• Posted

I'm two weeks out on my left side, eight weeks on my right side. The IR was unable to get to the left side the first time. My right side was accessed through the wrist, the left via femoral. I'm not seeing any improvement yet, but I was told that it will take at least 3 months before symptoms improve. The one thing that did improve, immediately, was the pain I had from a urolift, done last October. I had constant pain, severe for several months, with no improvement in symptoms. The pain was gone when I came out of recovery from the first PAE.

• Posted

Hi Walter have attached link to my recent posts. Had a partial PAE in October 2017 which helped a lot but did not last. (They could only do one side and I had a large median lobe.)

Had a FLA with Dr. Karamanian in Houston in June 2019 and so far excellent results.

These are fairly new procedures so time will tell - we will learn together.

Joe

patient.info/forums/discuss/pae-in-oct-2017-and-fla-in-june-2019-updated-as-of-aug-1-2019-all-good--709408?page=0#3560545

• Posted

i had it done in tampa florida got RE and no better on bph but i would say check you IR DOCTOR VERY WELL make sure its not a teaching hospital because in my case a rookie IR did mine without informing me the pro would be on side line any suggestions on what i should do Disgusted with the whole situation and wish i never did PAE

• Posted

Drummer , So sorry to hear about your results. Did your IR pre-qualify you at all? Or did he just sign you up and perform the procedure? I am very surprised about RE!

• Posted

hello bobcat no nothing to pre qualify just so disapointed at his un pro work

• Posted

Walter,

My PAE was easy and a pleasant experience. Doctor was head of the IR department - very good. Results only 10-20% improvement due to median lobe. Lasted about a year then symptoms returned as prostate grew back again, so recently had a bipolar TURP. Also easy, fairly fast recovery. Flow 50% improved. Not yet total answer but I continue to improve. PAE is a good first start since the prostate isn't cut, steamed, stapled or lasered. If procedure doesn't work as well as expected you can have something else done later. Make sure you know if you have a median lobe or not - this makes all the difference.

Tom

• Posted

THERE's a ton of first hand info on PAE. Do a search. Its all been covered. Good luck

• Posted

Au Contraire! It will never "all" be covered. Everyone's experience is unique. Our physiologies vary, facilities vary, physicians vary, etc. Insurance coverage is critical. Don't be dismissive of another person's attempt to seek advice. Your post was insulting.

• Posted

Insulted? Over telling someone to use the search function? You mustve misunderstood.. I've been on this site for years sharing information. Helping guys, as I was helped. Look for my posts. No need for so much repetition. Everybody's experience is unique? Yes, but I bet reading years worth of old posts would cover most of it. There's tons of info on here already and that doesn't mean I dont want to share or care but when someone comes on here with a very basic question, I think it would be wise to use the search function first. The same thing was said to me when I was new to the PAE world and they were right.

• Posted

Hi Walter,

My PAE has been LIFE CHANGING! I have an ongoing post in this forum, but I really have nothing NEW to say other than it is such a pleasure to have my life back. I don't panic anymore when I hear the FASTEN SEAT BELTS on a plane. I get up one time per night. If I have to hold it for an hour or 2, it's no big deal. I am normal again and I am not on a constant search for a restroom!

I know I am lucky- Good Doc, good insurance, resources to pay my share, but most importantly, I think i was a good candidate and my doc confirmed that BEFORE he agreed to do the procedure by giving me a full contrast CT scan.

Here is the link to my experience: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/my-pae-at-ucla-april-2019-700378?order=oldest&page=0#topic-replies

I wish you and all the best of luck!

• Posted

I had PAE 3 weeks ago and I am very happy. I'm already feeling better than I have in a couple years. I'm now only getting up once most nights and already I don't worry about where a bathroom is. I'm no longer on any of the alpha blockers, which helped my urination but made me feel terrible. I have a follow up with my IR in 8 days, and my urologist a day or two after that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.