What was your moment?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all, you may have read some previous posts. I am really struggling. I have been dealing with pain in my right knee but not 9 out 10 pain. I can walk for a few blocks but not a mile. Consultant recommended TKN on right knee. Meanwhile left has all of a sudden become a more major issue. Would really like to hear what finally motivated you to go under the knife. Thanks Mike

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have a rare tumor that blew up and hemmoraged causing the need for several surgeries to drain huge quantities of blood. Then came 30 rounds of radiation and finally the 1st tkr. The tumor eventually came back causing the prosthesis to break loose creating more mind numbing pain. None of my surgeries were what you would consider free will. In your case, you may be trying to push through this with additional activities and instead, you'll just have to hit the pain meds and really rest it till you get some more medical opinions and help.
    • Posted

Its seems your case is not like most of us. Just simple arthritis and wear and tear on our joints/cartilage needing replacement. I feel for you it sounds like you have been through a nightmare. Compared to most that have done the TKR. Be well my friend
  • Posted

That's an easy one, Mike. My initial pain started in my R knee after digging a pond in the garden. Then I found a huge lump on the back of my L knee. GP said from my xrays I shouldn't be as mobile as I was! Lump was Bakers cyst caused by arthritis. Suggested need for arthroscopy. When surgeon took a look, he explained that an arthroscopy might help short term, but I'd end up with tkr's in the future. I was bone on bone, and walking was getting to be a real trial. He also said that the sooner I had them done, the easier my recovery would be. That made it a no-brainer.

I was 64 at the time & this was going to be my first ever op. I had to wait 12 months in order to claim on a health fund, because the waiting time where I live was about 2 & a half years if I went public. In the meantime, the left knee got steadily worse, the surgeon refused to do both at once, and left it up to me as to which one he did. By the time the day of the op came round, the L was agony, so the choice was easy. Since then, last Feb, I've hardly had a twinge from the R knee. Could be because I'm not limping anymore, and that knee's not being stressed. That was until a couple of hours ago, when a dog crashed into me at the off-leash area & sent me flying. It was R leg he aimed for, and it feels at the moment that I have a 15 degree extension! But the L knee is fine - stood up to it with flying colours.

In the end, it's up to you, Mike, but I suppose it all depends on how your life is being affected, and how you get your head around the initial surprise that it's happening to you. I didn't dwell on it too much - just wanted to get it over & done.

Best of luck with your decision.

Denise from Oz

• Posted

Could be altered gait caused by right knee has exposed the problem of the left. I had surgery knowing Id eventually be (almost) pain free and have full mobility. I can do everything now with the exception of running, which is not advised
    • Posted

Deffernatly go for it, I've had my right done, 10 weeks ago, and am having my left don in 8 days and can't wait, want to get back to walking my dogs and climbing mountains, . Good luck, . I'm 54
    • Posted

Oops sos, ment to send that to the newby Mike, although I'm sure you realise that lol.x
    • Posted

I think you're very brave Mandy!  At ten weeks I wouldn't have even contemplated it.
    • Posted

Thanks Susan , but really I'm not brave just desperate , left knee is so bad now, I can only walk on my toes, which in turn is putting a really awkward pressure on the one that's just been done and trying to get better, so as I said , not brave just don't really have a choice,😏 it will be a good job, just really really hope I don't have any problems. So will have to cross every thing, ( except my legs of course, that would just be silly) and hope for the best.😀
    • Posted

I hope it works our for you Mandy without too much pain.  Good luck xx
    • Posted

I'll be back on when it's done, havering a good winge I'm sure, it seems to take a few weeks before you remember why it was such a good idea, lol, 
  • Posted

What motivated me was when I went on holiday to india and could hardly walk anywhere, it was quite miserable.  That and walking bone on bone which was so painful.   I put it off for a long time but these factors were the final straw.
  • Posted

Hi,

i think we all reach the decision based on factors that affect us differently

How much pain can you stand, then that is a outright decision maker.

or  ok I can manage!!  Do you want to live your life managing?

pros and cons of everyday life,  sit and people watch, what is it a tkr can give you that you aren't doing now !

if you can afford 12 weeks "me time" to recover and do the leg work,

then you can get back to the simple things in life that you were given legs for, although realisation at a moderate pace

i wasn't in pain, but had become restricted, which I had made excuses for in my life, now at 11 weeks walking is becoming so easy, I realise I was worse than I had led myself to believe. 

If if at anytime you have had to think about doing something and had thoughts of ----- this would be easier in a wheelchair, mobility scooter, or well if I could just sit down, then your time is coming!!!!

Food for thought!! Lol. 

Sue x 

• Posted

Hi mike. I had pain in left knee for about 28 month but manageable then last October. I went for a walk in town about a mile and I couldn't walk home. Knee was swelled to double it's size and I had to get taxi home From then on pain was do severe and I had a permanent limp right knee started to deteriorate because I was putting extra strain on it. In December the physio referred me to CATS I saw them in January and they referred me to wrightington. I saw consultant in feb snd he said I needs TKR and I had per op there snd then. I got date for end of April but was delayed for month because of HRT so was set for 12th may then tbyroid level dropped ( I have under active thyroid) so was re-set for 19 th may I am now 8 week post op and can honestly say it's the best thing I have done . I ditched the crutches 2 week dog at home but still use one if I'm going out got day I can do the stairs. And the pain just isn't there. Still got stiffness and ache around knee where muscle is still healing and I am 4 degree short if straightening leg snd 12 degrees short of bending so still work to be done. But it is such a relief to be getting life back. I start back at the gym this week and cxn see a very bright light at the end of the tunnel. Big you are having osin which interferes with your life. Then go for it !!!
  • Posted

I suffered for 4 years doctor told me I was too young for tkr had steroid injections for a while but they stopped working so last nov asked to be referred to the hospital I chose a private hospital funded by the nhs saw consultant in December said I was gone on bone and if I wanted it done I could so I went ahead had op on 28 th March now back at work still have a little discomfort and stiffness but no pain going back to the hospital in November to have x rays on other knee and if that is the same I will definitely be having it done I am 53 and 15 weeks po
  • Posted

I had an arthroscopy about ten years ago because my knee was agony . .and it worked.  Last year the pain came back, just as I had ebarked on  a long awaited holiday to England to see my brother . . . so I had another arthroscopy, hoping it would work. it did'nt, and instead of the burning pain of before, it became a horrible sharp pain on bending the knee and made normal walking impossible, so a TKR was suggested and without really thinking about it the following week I had it done!  It tookj several months for me to say 'I'm glad I had it done' but I am NOW.  Not for the first ten weeks or so, though!!!  But now I can walk pain free on that leg. . wonderful!  Pity I've now got a problem with the other ankle!!!
    • Posted

I was similar to you Valerie - one arthroscopy was good, the second made it worse, but I had to wait about 5 years for my TKR.  (Lots of being told I was too young but it was bone on bone and nothing more could be done).

eventually had it done 8 weeks ago - not quite glad I had it done yet though I'm sure I'll get there!

I think I'm going to change my name on here - there are a lot of Susan's!

• Posted

Yes it gets confusing!  A couple of Mandy's too . . Five years is a long time to wait.  I suppose i'm well and truly old enough (70) so it was up to me whether to do it or not.  I think it was about three months before I would tentatively say . . welll, maybe it was worth doing!  the first weeks are horrible . . . and I would have given anything to go back to the situation before. . I could walk as long as I didn't bend my knee. . but that is no way to spend the rest of your life.  Getting up out of chairs was very difficult and painful . . Another month and you will really begin to feel the difference.  However, at six months, I was out all afternoon at a local 'fiesta' . . lots of standing, qite a bit of walking, and tonight my knee is aching!  Not badly, but it is complaining a bit. . . . . .
    • Posted

One of the Mandy's speaking But did you enjoy the fiesta ?😀👍 I hopes so, so that would make it worth it lol. What we have to go through to get a bit of fun nowadays, lol, x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.