What was your moment?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all, you may have read some previous posts. I am really struggling. I have been dealing with pain in my right knee but not 9 out 10 pain. I can walk for a few blocks but not a mile. Consultant recommended TKN on right knee. Meanwhile left has all of a sudden become a more major issue. Would really like to hear what finally motivated you to go under the knife. Thanks Mike

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have had both my knees done, first 8 years ago, no problems, the right on 19 weeks op...still a slight problen straigtheningg but can manage.  The pain from the right knee made me have it done. NO more pain.

My friend has been told her knee is not bad enough .(.NHS saving money I think)   and that she is too young at 67!!!!! ( I am 75) but she can't walk and has been in dreadful pain.  She started taking 'Turmeric paste' which she makes herself...not to everyones taste.. can be found on the G search engine....only been taking it 6 weeks and has NO PAIN and is walking better...?  maybe a new cure?

• Posted

Oh...I wish there was a spell check and edit button.....
    • Posted

Don't worry about the spell check.......it is automatically assumed all errors are the fault of pain meds and therefore excusable.
  • Posted

Hi,

I have made the decision to contact surgeon tomorrow to arrange to have a knee replacement ASAP. I have been coping with knee pain for about six years and it has steadily been getting worse. I have tried injections, magnets and physio but nothing seems to work now We went to Cornwall for a short break and it was so difficult trying to walk up and down hills. Every step was a nightmare. We stayed in Port Isaac as we enjoy Doc Martin and I have never seen so many steep hills in one place. It has definitely helped me to make up my mind as walking and coping with normal activities seem to have become such a trial.

Wish me luck.

• Posted

I do wish you luck Christine and I think you are wise to have it done. I know if is painful but seven months down the line I am now feeling the benefits and glad I had it done 
    • Posted

Wise decision, wish you all the luck you want for yourself...it is worth it in the end and we are here for support.

• Posted

Aw good luck Christine I was the same in benidorm at new year. Ruined my hol really cos couldn't walk up the prom without sitting down frequently. Had op 19 th may and yes was painful for first 10-14 days. But. I felt I was going a bit forward after that I'm 8 week now and the light at the end of the tinnel is certainly getting brighter x. Have your op Do everything they tell you regarding meds and exercise then look forward to the future Will be thinking about you xxx
  • Posted

hi mike i like so many others had no choice so much pain with a serious limp couldnt walk anywhere without dreading the return no let up on pain i had cartilage removed and had injections till they didnt work anymore then i knew i had no choice and went to see surgeon to get my worst leg done first but even though i was private i had to wait a few months and by the time i was to have it done i decided to get the two done as my husband was going for his hip 8 wks later ,do i regret it yes and no   yes im not the sucess i hoped for and no because i didnt know then that its not always the perfect answer im never going to be the way i was befor my ops and ive still got pain after10mths post revision and 3 ops down the road in a year and a half .  so id say dont rush in and get it done unless your not having any sort of life ive seen so many people that have not been sucessfull  some here will probably think that maybe i shouldnt put you off ar scare you .i dont want that either but it is a life changer at least it was for me im 57 now was 55 when i had bi lateral
  • Posted

Hi guys, thank you so much for all your replies I really appreciate you putting in time to write to me. Very helpful to me. Will be seeing the consultant tommorow. We shall see what he says. 
  • Posted

I used to have cortisone injections in my knee which usually worked for quite a while I had 3 or 4 a year.

Then I did not have any for a bit and suddenly my knee was bad again.

So I had another injection. It only lasted 3 weeks and I was back to square one again. GP referred me to a consultant orthopaedic surgeon and told me not to be afraid of having TKR.

I had to really push to get them to do TKR but they did do it.

The best thing I have ever done.

A long hard road to recovery but well worth it in the end if you are really struggling.

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks , that's good info for me, if the cortisone works for a couple off years like I will be quite pleased
    • Posted

I would love a cortisone injection in my ankle, which is agony . .but I;ve read on internet that it actually can increase the chance of infection in a TKR . . .But before TKR, it's worth a try.  I had a cortisone injection in one of my shoulders and it actually worked . .the other I had to have operated though.
    • Posted

I had the cortisone injection yesterday afternoon. Its like a miracle drug! I have hardly any pain in left knee this morning. Hope it lasts. Doctor said I have a meniscus tear on medial side and arthritis
    • Posted

the first one is the best one lets hope you get a long time out of it i got 6mths out of my first one  my husband got 14mths out of his first one  so i hope you beat us good luck to you and enjoy the time it works for you dont waste it by thinking of the next time you need it !!  what a wonder drug  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Posted

Thanks Linda I will take your advice! I wonder if Irish whisky would help?
    • Posted

Hope it lasts for you!  i had three into the shoulder, and it worked on one of them permanently, but i imagine that's a different problem than the knee. . . 
    • Posted

Did they explain the 1st injection is just to deaden the area so they can go in deep and it wears off in 24 to 48 hrs and then the real stuff kicks in goes to work long term.
    • Posted

ha ha!!! well it would definatly take your mind off it  mind you im more a bacardi kinda girl myself !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.