What Works For Me

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've lived with anxiety longer than many of you have been alive, so I have a pretty good idea of what works, that is for me. I can't pretend it was easy in the beginning, it wasn't. I hated what was happening, I kept it fresh in my mind, so I kept it alive, waiting for the attack which sometimes didn't come.

Maybe it's the time that dissipates the anxiety, maybe it's the realization that it's a bully with no bite, it just makes you feel jumpy, and if you let it, it builds like a kids toy block set, then it collapses, and nothing happened. All of those times taught me nothing is going to happen, not a damn thing.

Lucky for me I like to exercise, I like to test myself, push myself to go farther, lift a little heavier each time. The exercise IMO is one of the best forms of relief from anxiety, it's those last few reps, the ones you'd rather not do, but you do it anyway, or going further on a turn around (bicycle, or trikke). Now that really feels great after the fact, relaxing, that calm feeling when you close your eyes feeling your body lose tension.

Of course time heals, but many of you need to find your own method, I recommend conditioning your body, not mildly, but a program that requires work, believe me those endorphins cannot be boughtm they're earned, and worth it.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Trikkerguy

WELL SAID ...... I couldn't have said it any better . YES you are 100% right everyone HAS to find   own method that works for them . 

Like you I enjoy very much going to the gym , it's been my SAVIOUR . And it actually HAS helped me with my anxiety

At first when I had my first ever anxiety attack I didn't know what  it was , how to deal with it , the doctors didn't help , so I did my continuous research  NON STOP also registered on this site . I found out that it's CURABLE , MANAGEABLE  and as long as I understand IT and how my body REACTS  etc .... Then at least I'll know how to HELP MYSELF instead of RUNNING to the DOCTORS to help me , sending loads of messages on FORUMS and SEEKING some sort ANSWER . When the ANSWER lies WITHIN  ONESELF. All you have to do is ASK yourself the right questions and you WILL find ANSWERS IF NOT SOLUTIONS .

I relied on people's PITY  & SYMPATHY , and it made me worse , then I read a article in the magazine how by going to the gym is related to lowering / controlling anxiety attacks and how it's SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN to help . I quickly took a picture of the page I was reading on my mobile and once I came home I went on the website and read all the info . 

It may NOT be to ones liking but I'm a kinda person who will not let my brain and negative thoughts control me and let me WASTE MY LIFE , and watch it SLIP though my fingers and I mentally DETERIORATE  and spiral into ORBIT . 

TRikkerguy your definitely more experienced than us all here , your truly right . I admire your determination and sharing your thoughts . It has given me more inspiration and strength to carry on ..... And thank god we are ALIVE please keep me updated as to how your getting on or even any new ideas . 

You take care  

Kind regards 

Anna

• Posted

Glad to share my experiences, even more glad to not have any current experiences to share. I've given much thought to the "why", why did it start many years ago, I believe I know.

Maybe if those suffering can identify what was the initial trigger, they can start the healing process. Thinking positive sometimes is difficult especially when your in the midst of an episode, but after the episode is gone there is a calm feeling, it's that feeling that I built on, that release that always comes, ALWAYS, is the key. It's like an island in that sea of turmoil that I have found after fighting the currents of my own conceived storm.

Sounds corny, but those calm waters are relaxing, and the memories of the winds that created those high seas have gone because I understand the natural causes that created them.

• Posted

I totally agree, i am going through the worst kind of Health anxiety since my mum passed away last year from cancer, i must have imagined every cancer symptom going from back ache, to tummy pain, to JAUNDICE, yes at one point i was so fraut that i imagined i had jaundice, talk about your mind playing tricks, and as you say the only time i dont get any of these 'symptoms' is when i am training, i am so focused there that i dont even feel a twinge. Well said.
    • Posted

I used to tell myself, I already went through a panic, it's done, fini, now I'm ready to get on with my life. I did it so much, it became a habit, just like what panic is, a habit, a conditioned response to an imagined threat that doesn't exist, same as watching a movie, people pretending to be in false situation, paid to convince you its real, Panic is a false situation being paid by your belief. Stop acting, and live life for real, panic does get old, just like old movie plots, they never seem to change, so you must.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.