whats difference between dp and dr?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between depersonalisation and derealization?

Many thanks

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Do you mean DO doctor of osteopathy. A lot less schooling but they know the basics and supposedly are more about the whole body not the oarts,
  • Posted

They both normally come together, your feelings dont feel like they belong to you sort of if that's the best way to describe it with depersonalization and Derealization is sort of like feeling your surroundings are foreign/not real

• Posted

Ah I see.

Well in that case I definitely have derealization. I got mixed up. I thought I had dp.

I just feel that whatever I look at feels like world is not quite real. Such a subtle but weird feeling for me.

I don't feel feelings if that makes sense.

Like if someone would normally be upset by a thought of something upsetting from the past and would feel sad or cry. I just bear the thought, tense up and want the dread feeling to go. I'll distract myself to make the feeling go.

I don't allow myself to feel the sad thought.

I know you might be thinking, that's good, don't dwell on it, but I'm thinking this might be my prob. I've been running away from sad/ difficult feelings but I should be confronting them, telling myself they are just thoughts and not giving these intrusive thoughts the usual importance I give them.

Is it cos I'm a man that I find feelings difficult?

Also does this sound like dp?

• Posted

Tanya is correct and the current best treatment is a small dose of an atypical antipsychotic.

Have you seen your doc?

• Posted

I'm on anti psychotic meds have been many years but hasn't made any diff.

• Posted

Quetiepine.

Side effects are stuffy nose, anxiety (ironic I know) and lethargy. The aheightened anxiety goes after about 10mins Tho thank god.

• Posted

Perhaps you could ask your psychiatrist for something different?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.