Whats the difference between Spherical lenses and Aspheric lenses

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Whats the difference between Spherical lenses and Aspheric IOL's . l think l read Aspheric give better quality contrast and vision , is that correct. l may need cataract surgery in a year and thinking of going with mono focal distance IOL l want to make sure l get the best quality lens with the best vision , l am 48 and Apart from early stage cataracts my vision is normal 20/20 and l dont have Astigmatism or near sightedness and l dont need reading glasses to read yet. Should l tell my surgeon l want an Aspheric lens ? will that give me better vision. Here in Australia if you have cataract surgery in the Free public hospital you are not allowed to choose your lens, l am worried they might just give me the cheapest lens rather then the best quality, if they say its a sperical lens should l aks to pay extrea for an aspheric lens

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

There is a small difference in vision quality between a spherical lens and an aspheric. As I understand it there is some asphericity in your natural lens, and an offsetting amount in the cornea. When the natural lens is removed and replaced with a spherical lens you are left with a residual aspheric error. It results in a less sharp focus at a single point.

I am in Alberta Canada and our public health care covers the cost of an aspheric lens, but I don't believe all provinces do. So, your concern is valid as to what may be offered as a default.

My thoughts are that if you are going to get a monofocal distance lens you should get the sharpest vision with an aspheric lens, and if there is a reasonable extra cost to get it, I would pay for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.