When can one relax and not worry about relapse?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had PC and radical prostatectomy March 2017. All PSA measurements until 1 month ago were < 0.01.

I read that the longer you go without relapse (PSA increase and change being the indicator), the slimmer the chances of a relapse.

When can one relax and feel normal again?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Could be something called the PSA bounce. I've read about that after prostate cancer treatments. Usually nothing to worry about. I had Brachytherapy (low dose radiation seed implants) 2 years ago. At my 6 month followup my  PSA was at 0.15. At one year it was 0.14. My past check up at the 2 year mark, my PSA was at 0.2. My urologist mentioned the PSA bounce and that the low rise was nothing to be concerned about. Do some research on the PSA bounce and ask you doctor about it.

Good luck to you.

• Posted

Really glad to hear your PSA is virtually undetectable that's really good news.  I had a prostatectomy in Dec 2010, radiotherapy in Dec 2011 and 2 years of hormone treatment.  Since then my PSA has been less than 0.01.  My PSA is checked twice a year.

Regarding relaxing and feeling normal again that is very subjective.  Not sure how old you are but I am now 71, as you get older you get different things to worry about, I now have early stage leukemia.  So what is normal? 

What I do know is that I was very lucky in 2010, my Prostate Cancer could have gone undetected and I would not be writing this post now.  My advice is positive thoughts, trust your doctors and enjoy every sunrise.

Ken

• Posted

Reading too much  can cause anxiety and worry. My advice give it a rest, relax and  feel normal. No worries!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.