When can you join a gym after total TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all  am 14 weeks post opp TKR, and 57 years old   ive been doing physio for 10 weeks  using the running machine (only walking at a fast pace )  Bike and doing all the other exercises,  am not looking to bulk up, am just looking to get fit, so am able to do my job,  i no you will all say do more walking and go on a bike ride, but as we all no with this brutle opp it takes a lot out of us and are motavation is zero, and are get up and go has gone, Ive put on a lot of weight over the last 14 weeks  and have lost a lot of musle tone in my calf (left leg) it is lookin very thin,  i have always had a decent level of fitnees through football and many other sports,problem is ive never been to a gym befor  i do need a decent level of fitness for my job,  my question is is it to soon to join a gym at 14 weeks, is my knee able to take that extra push so early after the opp,,   the cost of the gym is 15 pounds a month, its brand new all the mod cons. Many thanks for any help  and your in put for what direction i should go cheers BRIAN

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi brian you are doing great and you are motivated so id say go to the gym but get the gym instructer to give you a program to strenghten your muscles dont push yourself more than he or she tells you as you dont want any other injurys i did join a gym after my revision but it was a more complicated op than yours i had my op last aug and joined gym in start of jan he made out a great rehab program for me i went 3 times a week and every 4-5 wks he changed the program a little by adding more reps or different equipment  but i would say that you should ask a physio what equipment he wants you to avoid . it was great using the gym for me as it did give me strenght ive stopped it for summer as i dont want to be indoors and play abit of sport but il be back in the gym for the winter to keep up with the strenghtening and to keep up fittness  i hope you are lucky to meet a good trainer in the gym they can give you the best program and keep an eye on you that you dont over do it good luck
  • Posted

Hi Brian, I'm 10 weeks post tkr and I went back to my gym at 7wks. I only go once a week and it is a 'doctors referral' session. My instructor has designed a routine to help me personally. At home I use an exercise bike and a wii fit balance board on which I do balance games, slalem skiing etc.

I am sure you will be fine as long as you tell your instructor about your op. I am 65 and reasonably fit and intend to stay that way.  

• Posted

hi pru ive a wi fit havent used it for a long time it sounds like a good idea i think il dig it out i have a balance board too
  • Posted

Hi Brian EFC. I'm only 5 1/2 weeks post op but my physio started me on the bike this week. I would talk to someone like a physiotherapist as to what is appropriate. The gym trainer most probably would not be able to draw on experience with TKR and so I would go with someone with the knowledge base for advice before doing anything which might cause harm. 
  • Posted

I've been wondering about a similar thing Zbrian.  I never went to a gym before TKR but there is a ladies gym close to me which has a small pool which I thought would be good to use. They have a circuit everyone completes - so many minutes on one thing before you move to another - I haven't been to see exactly what these are but I have no one to ask as surgeon and physio both signed me off.  (I'm 10 weeks now). The only thing I do know is no high impact/aerobic exercise

the thing is, I don't even feel my knee is up to driving yet, so wouldn't want to do more harm than good.

• Posted

Hi Susan ,   the gym is very close to my house. its a leisure center, but has been all redeveloped so the cost of the gym gives me acsess to the baths as well,  so thinking of going for it and just take it easy, as if i was doing my physio  many thanks for your post, hoping you have a quick recovery  Brian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.