when did citalopram work for others?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have been on citalopram for nearly 11 weeks, havent noticed any change yet still, is this the same for most people? Don't want to up my dose just yet or change medication as I don't want the side effects again, not sure how its meant to make you feel but I feel the same and still get very anxious and just wondering how other people get on with it, I am on 20mg 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Would have thought it should be having some effect by now. I was on citalopram for over 10 years and it worked great for me. I noticed a difference within 4 weeks. What does the docs say? 
    • Posted

yeah thought it was very strange, may need to up the dose a little bit, I havent spoke to my doctor about it yet but must make an appointment soon 
  • Posted

hello, i didnt feel any changes on my new anti depressant for 10 weeks. at that point i upped my dose, and immediately started improving rapidly, quickly turned around from a depressed wreck, to something approaching normal in about 5 weeks. the dose increase helped, but improvements happend too fast, to be that alone. for some people it takes a long time, more so for amxiety than depression. although i didnt improve during the first 10 weeks, i had a sort of sense or feeling it would work, which is why i stuck with it. a doctor would have recommend a dose increase by now as they generally expect you to be getting some improvement by 6 to 8 weeks, their expectations are unrealistic though. some people will say stay on your current dose, and you will eventually improve. think it comes down to personal preference and how patient you are. if it was myself, i would increase, but only at 5mg at a time, to minimise side effects. Do you have a sense its working?
  • Posted

I am on week 5 and haven’t seen a change yet either. I was in 10 but went up to 20 about two weeks ago. sad hate hate the long process. I wish it would work faster. But time heals all I guess! 

I hope you see a change soon. 

• Posted

No I didn't notice any changes by then, I wish it would work faster as well, think I will speak to my doctor soon about it

• Posted

you must remember that different that the time it takes differs with each person..Do not up your dose yet,wait for another 2/4 weeks and see how you feels.
  • Posted

I'm 3days into week 5 on 10 ml.

The last 3 mornings I've been waking with palpatations and very anxious and depressed wanting to cry. Will it get easier.

Any reassurance would be greatly received.

• Posted

Hope you feel better, just remember its the medication trying to get use to your body 
    • Posted

I’ve been like this since upping my dose....I struggled with it for a bit before and seemed to get a bit better so I’m crossing everything as it’s so hard to see the light at the moment 🤦🏻???

• Posted

I have been on it 9 weeks and had a little improvement around 3 weeks for about a week and then gradually started to dip. Up and down for a couple of weeks and for about 2 weeks I’ve dipped pretty bad. After my Dr’s advice I have upped my dose. I’m struggling along with the help of family and diazepam and hoping to improve on 30mg. I knew it wld be a roller coaster but wow is it so hard. I so long for this to be over. 😢

• Posted

Hope you feel better soon! stick with this new medication and that should help, therapy is always good aswell x 
    • Posted

I will be sticking with it for a while as I believe it will work out in its own sweet time. I have started therapy too and with that too, I hope to get back to myself!! 🙏🏻 

I hope you get some relief too. This forum has helped me understand that it is a much longer journey than what we are told by our GPs and the black and white we read about the meds. So there’s hope for us yet!! 😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.