when did you start walking?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 16 days post prolapse repair surgery. First 2 weeks I was so much in pain so I didn't think about walking. But regarding post surgery info, I need very short, frequent walk. Any idea what is short walk? Walk in a house? Or go for shopping(off course, no carrying). Any suggestions appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you have a lot of pain. It does improve. And moving might help you. I started by short frequent walks in the house. Then our very small garden. Then to the end of the road and back, before building up to going round the block. That was at about 2 weeks. I'm now 5 weeks post op and can do the school run 10 mins each way plus I usually do extra walks during the day to try to increase energy levels and retain some fitness, not to mention warding off DVT. I haven't yet gone on a very long walk but I'm feeling readier to do so and will try to get up to about 3 miles within the next week. Good luck x

• Posted

I'm 12 weeks. At 3 weeks I walked 1/4 mile at a time. About 1 mile total all day. I just listen to my body, if I felt heavy there, I would just put my feet up.

Currently, I'm only walking two miles at a time. Sometimes I can get that heavy feeling even now.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for the comment. Sounds you are very fit. Yes, I'll try to walk to the end of the street. My energy level is very low after been in the bed for 2 weeks.

• Posted

sorry I don't know about mile. Listen to my body is a good advice. Yes, I'll listen it.

• Posted

We are all different. Would take it very slow with very short walks. Even if it's just around house. I'm very thankful for this site. You really have to listen to your body. Even now at 12 weeks if I'm on my feet to long, I get that heavy feeling, almost feels a little swollen. Have my feet propped up right now. 

Cooking a big Thanksgiving dinner, hoping it's not to much. Plan to take breaks and get my feet up.

• Posted

Now that you feel that you can do walks, start with a short walk round the block and build up by 5 minutes every day until you can walk for about 40 mins. That is what the physiotherapist told me. Any day you feel that you cannot do it don't worry, try again the next day.

• Posted

Yes, suddenly a walking came up to my mind. I'll start by 5 mins and build up bit more. Thank you.

• Posted

I have found walking every day helps the discomfort.I walk 3 miles someimes but standing is still uncomfortable.My six weeks are up today and I do not feel like doing any housework etc only cooking and the laundary.Had a posterior repair and that is fine but I have stage 1/2 anterior prolapse and I am doing my exercises but I am a bit disappointed that I still feel a bulge.Thinking that I might need another op.I am seeing my consultant on 1st December.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that you might need another go. I don't feel walking outside yet but try to walk in the house and around house.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.