When does the pain subside?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey lovelies, I'm almost 6 weeks post posterior repair and I'm still in a huge amount of pain, can't sit or lay without it being sore, it's located on the right hand side of my bum and goes all down my leg, I've had the pain in this area for almost two weeks. I'm also on my 5th lot of anti b's as I keeps getting either repeat infections or the same one isn't clearing. I'm beginning to feel something isn't right and I'm throughly fed up of being in pain. Please reassure me that this could just be the internal stitches healing?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

It doesn't sound like post op pain, sounds more like sciatica, it could be from the way you are lying if it's only been there for two weeks, or it could be from the position you were put in during surgery, legs in high stirrups with a posterior repair.

My back isn't great anyway, and has been worse since my op, same as you Rectocele, but is easing off a bit and I'm nearly at twelve weeks.

It's a painful op to get over, be kind to your body, give it time to heal, it does take a long time.x.

• Posted

I had pain, LOTS of pain, for at least six weeks.  It takes a LONG time for the swelling to diminish!  The nerves involved to the entire pelvic region branch off the lower spine in the vicinity of where sciatica is located, so you could very well be having referred pain.  Once the swelling diminishes, this could resolve all by itself.  Contact your doctor's office for pain relief.  This is something that is beyond the scope of acetaminophen!

~VOW

• Posted

Is that like paracetamol in the uk? I'm currently on codeine and other than blocking me up and make me feel like I'm on another planet it's not doing a lot!

Thanks for the reassurance though, hopefully next week I'll be feeling better x

• Posted

I'm taking gabapentin which is a drug used for nerve pain, it might be an idea to see your GP if it doesn't go away, and get a consultants opinion on the pain, mine was there before but not as bad, so the surgery didn't cause it, but has certainly made it worse.

The sciatic nerve isn't near the nerves supplying sensation to the op site, that's why I'm thinking it's more of a positional thing, although the pain and swelling from the op is in a different place it takes a long time to recover.

Do you have a follow up appointment yet?

• Posted

My follow up is in August, I've already seen the consultant twice since my op due to infections and pain...maybe I'll book another appointment with him. My GP is very supportive which is good, she's concerned about the amount of antibiotics I've had and the pain so I'm sure she'll help where she can x

• Posted

I would either try and book an appointment, or try and get your GP to refer you to a Physio.

Like Dorry says, you would think it would have come on before the last two weeks, but if you are sitting awkwardly due to discomfort since the surgery, that can have an impact on your sciatic nerve, and it's really painful.

• Posted

That sounds like sciatica to me too.  The pain shooting down the leg is a classic symptom.

I have no idea if it is from how you are sitting/laying, or swelling pressing on something but it's totally reasonable to ask for more help and different meds.  This is the kind of thing a GP can help with, I think.

The position of surgery does seem to make things like this happen but you are saying it's only been 2 weeks, not since surgery, so that doesn't quite fit.

I hope your doctor can help!

• Posted

Hey Lisa I was feeling as if I was on the mend about week 3-4 then all of s sudden I got a sharp seriously painful right buttock and right down the back of my right thigh area it was excruciating. It lasted for about 2 1/2 weeks then went as quick as it came . Don't know if any connection but around the same time was the first time I'd seen 2-3 stitches in my underwear. X

• Posted

Liz that sounds very similar! My op was almost 6 weeks ago but I've only had this specific pain for the past couple of weeks. I'd initially out it down to healing and inflammation but thought it would have eased by now, I'll give t a by more time.

Doesn't sciatica hurt at the base of your back? I've never had it so not sure, this pain is not that high.

Thanks for a all your help ladies x

• Posted

Your sciatic nerve exits the spine at L4/5-S1, and goes right down to your toes, it can be painful at any part of it's length.

One good thing to look up is to google.  dermatomes.  By the spread of your pain, you can see where it is coming from, 

• Posted

Another coincidence maybe but mine came at the same time as my first period after the op x
    • Posted

Spooky, mine came 5 days before...this is weird! 😂
    • Posted

I would give it another week or so think I had it just short of 3 weeks. It started to ease off for a couple of days still sore but not as intense then it just disappeared. Hoping it doesn't come back with my next period !

• Posted

That sounds like sciatica. A nerve is pinched. Maybe from the lithotomy position they have you in in theatre. When's your post-op check with Surgeon? Darn those infections!! Is it urine infections or vag? Poor you. I really don't think you should be in so much pain at this point. You need to see Surgeon that operated as soon as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.