When is best to take Citalopram?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been put on 10mg of cit as I have really bad health anxiety and have been having panic attacks almost everyday. This started as I started having burning chest pains and as I do really overthink the anxiety kicked in and i kept thinking I was having a heart attack. I would just like to know when is best to take the tablets as I have seen people find taking it best at night because it makes u sleepy?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes it has a little sedating effects in it... sometimes is best to take at night and sleep thru side effects ..other times take in the morning.. because it messes with your sleep..so you have to experiment.
  • Posted

I had been taking 20mg around half 10 / 11 at night but after a couple of weeks of thinking I could sleep through the side effects, it started really messing with my sleep, I'd find even despite a combined healthy amount of sleep, I was still absolutely shattered in the morning, finding it impossible to get my head or body awake and this would last into the afternoon. As a result of advice from on here from others, I shifted a couple of hours and usually take it around half 7 in the evening and I have found that although sleep is sometimes disturbed, it's been easier to be more awake in the mornings, so far that time has definitely felt more suitable for me

• Posted

I started to take mine in the evening but hardly slept so on doctors advice changed to the morning .To be fair for the first few weeks on hhe meds you might find you sleep a lot anyway x

I am on my 4 week and although feeling a lot better still feel quite dizzy sometimes x

• Posted

Hi Megan, I take 10mg in the morning since it gives me a little anxiety. Today is Day 27 for me. I’ve never tried at night. My dr and pharmacist told me to take in AM maybe since I’m on Blood Pressure Med. I know it does mess with my sleep. 

The panic attacks will leave you. I know they are horrible and scary. Just stay with it. How many days are you on it? 

• Posted

Hey:-) I’ve been in your nightmare !! I’ve now been on Citalopram for over a year and wow what a huge difference it has made in my life .i take my 10mg everyday at 9:30am. You’re only going to be tired until your body is use to it it’s a side effect and those will go away after like 3 weeks.  Keep going lady!!!! Good luck :-) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.