When is the best time to up dose of citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

I know that people say that it can take ages to start to work, however at what stage did you increase your dose (if you have) was there any side effects and did it make any difference?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I'm thinking the same its been 7 weeks now on 20mg from what people on here have told me they say hang in there it can take months not weeks to feel better I'm just going to stick it out a bit longer.

What are you suffering from the most ?

• Posted

HI Don

I just read your post and see you've been on citalopram 7 weeks. Are you still havin side effects? I'm on 4 weeks and still having nausea in the mornings and trouble sleeping, although last night I did sleep better. I was just wondering how much longer before I feel like I can function again. Don't feel like doing hardly anything.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi sue

The side effects have gone now (unless anxiety is a side effect 😃)sleep is a lot better deppression is better it's just mornings wake up with anxiety and intrusive thoughts from what people say on here it's still early days can take up to 12 weeks to feel them kick In hang in their .

Have you tried Cbt ?

• Posted

Also Don,

At what week were you when your side effects went away? I was just wandering how much longer they are gonna last. Don't feel like doing hardly anything. Just trying to get through each day. It's really so hard.

• Posted

Ard you feeling worse now than before you started? If so you should discuss it with your doctor as I would have though that most side effects would be getting better
    • Posted

It's a talking therapy it works good for some people ask your doctor they can put u on the right track. It took me about 4 weeks for side effects to slow down but remember everyone's different is this you first Time on ad's ?
    • Posted

No. I was on it and thought I was doing better and quit taking them. The doctor told me to start taking them again. When I started them before I was real sick anyway with thyroid problems aND I was having sleeping problems and anxiety, so I really don't know how long it was because of thyroid or citrolopram.
    • Posted

Did you just stop taking them or did u taper off ?
    • Posted

I just stopped taking them. Didn't seem to have any withdrawal symptoms.
    • Posted

You really sould taper off these drugs how long was it before you started to feel bad again ?
  • Posted

Only 4 weeks, I also know that they can take ages to work, but I was wondering would they work quicker if we up the dose sooner? Are we suffering when we didn't need to? I'm seeing gp on Wednesday for a review.

I'm not wanting to increase yet was just interested to hear others opinions

• Posted

Hi Kerry, sorry to hear you're suffering. I will answer based on the assumption that you're currently on 20mg. It is my opinion (and I am not a doctor) that you should not rush to up your dose in the hope that it will make the meds work more quickly, as this will not necessarily be the case can cause other issues. For example, if you are suffering from side effects such as increased anxiety, intrusive thoughts, feelings of hopelessness etc then increasing your dose may intensify these and make problems worse in the short term. I would give it a few more weeks on 20mg before considering increasing your dosage. As most people on this forum will tell you, citalopram takes a long time to take effect - it took 12 weeks before I was feeling 'back to my old self' and I still have the odd wobble. I know its so difficult, but try to be a patient as you can. I did take 40mg for a few days very early on hoping, like you, I would get more relief, but - for me - this had absolutely the opposite effect - my side effects were hideous and I felt mentally very unwell indeed. However, everyone is different and I would encourage you to talk things over with your doctor if you feel the need. Very best of luck to you Kerry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.