When should I expect to start feeling better ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been on 20mg of Citalopram for 3 weeks & GP has just increased to 30mg. I am really not feeling any better, some days are better than others. Early mornings are the worse, feeling sick, dreading how I am going to get through the day. Eating is the worse, I have no appetite, which is making me very weak, so have no energy to do anything. I was taking Diazapam but GP wants me to have a break from taking them but I feel as if I need something until citalopram kick in. Are these symptoms anyone else is experiencing ?

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there, I have been on Citalopram for a couple of years now, and over the last 6 months, I started to take them after breakfast, instead of a night  time, and it has made a hell of a difference, to how I feel of a morning, give it a go, it may help you.  I also started out on 40mg, I have gradually weaned meself down now to 15mg.  Hope this helps, let me know pls. x

• Posted

Hi, I have been taking them with breakfast ( when I can manage to eat anything ). I wondered if I would be better taking them at night but do you think morning is best ? I actually go off to sleep ok, just wake about 5ish. The day does usually get better as it goes on, although it's always a relief when meal times are over !

xx

• Posted

Hi Val, it's interesting to hear you're taking them at breakfast time. I used to take them at night and as soon and in no time I would konk. Can you tell me what differences you found to taking them in the morning please?
    • Posted

Hi,

I am very interested to hear what time of the day most people take their tablets ? 

• Posted

I've always taken mine in the morning with no problems.  Was told long ago morning is best if you don't want a disturbed sleep in the night - apparently can keep you awake (though some feel drowsy too).

• Posted

Hi Jenny, I used to take citalopram after my brain injury and I'm so glad they worked for me, although I've nothing to compare them with having never taken anti-d's. I hated the initial month where I could hardly move, but it's definitely worth persevering as you'll break out in to a new phase of feeling good. It just takes time. I will never forget when they finally did kick in - I felt positive and more energy. Just keep going until you do!
  • Posted

Those are my exact symptoms! It's morning right now in canada and I am just sick to my stomach wondering how I'll get through the day. I can't eat at all and have lost 5 pounds in a week. When I first went in celexa it kicked in pretty quickly and I was anxiety free for 12 years. Hope that happens again!
    • Posted

Hi Jen, what part of Canada do you live? I fell in love with Vancouver Island when I visited there two years ago. I'm returning sometime next year. 

Crikey that sounds awful! From memory I needed them in my recovery from a brain bleed and ptsd. I was out of it anyway so adding a tablet wasn't particularly difficult and I did have to sleep most of the time. Dreadful memories. Later, and maybe it was a couple of years ago, I needed anti-d's again and was reintroduced to citalopram, which was very very nauseating and difficult. I decided perhaps they wouldn't work so well second time around and indeed decided after a week, I wasn't going to cope with the side effects (same as yours). It would be okay if it was possible to sleep symptoms off during the day but life was full on. I will never forget how really helpful they were first time around. It seemed to take ages for them to finally kick in, as the area of brain load up (like a battery) before you get a flood of relief. They caused a lot of whining in my brain to start and tinnitus, stomache cramps, nausea, etc - all debilitating symptoms - but I was unloading the dishwasher in the morning and I stood up and realised wow I did feel lighter and good, etc. I was so pleased! Do you think your dr is trying to accelerate the process by increasing your dose? Hang in there Jen...I'm sure it's only a matter of time!

• Posted

Hi Jane. I'm from edmonton, which is closer to the mountains than the ocean.

Yeah, I've been anxiety free for 12 years, (well, I will always be a minor worrier) then suddenly two weeks ago it started with derealization and panic and now has just become constant anxiety, constant fear I'm going crazy. I asked my doc to up my 20 mg to 30 because I remember how well celexa worked for me the first time around. Now it seems like the celexa is making me feel way worse sad So groggy, which makes me feel derealized sad

• Posted

Hi,

Are celexa the same as Citalopram ? I have had anti depressants before but nothing has taken as long as this to kick in. One day I think I have turned a corner then next day back to where I started ! 

• Posted

12 years at 20mg with no problem. Just upped to 30 a few days ago after my relapse.
    • Posted

Hi again...yes celexa is citalopram. I'd forgotten most importantly the derealisation as if you might be going crazy effect. Ask others to keep an eye on you, communicate with all to keep it real so to speak. You'll be fine honestly. Will keep checks on you and give support when needed. Let me know when there's a breakthrough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.