When SSRI's dont work

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, i suffer really bad GAD, i have now tried 4 different SSRI's and venlafaxine, none have worked really. What other medicinal routes are open to me? I exercise and try meditation, but feel i need a medical aid also, but nothing seems to help, any suggestions?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have you looked into therapy?
    • Posted

There are other options besides CBT. Have you asked your doctor about other ones?
    • Posted

I'm not sure exactly, but there are several other forms that approach anxiety in different ways. What country are you in? Have you checked out local services?
    • Posted

If you need any help or guidance in the meantime, post on this forum or feel free to send me a PM. You are not alone in this.

Good luck and all the best!

• Posted

They only work in half the people. Cbt only works in half the people. There are various reasons from how a person metabolizes them and if they have a cyp450 issues (kills ssri use)  to scientist do not really know hoe or why they actually work. Anxiety attacks were previously believed to be behavior dysfunction so meds wouldnt work. Sedatives are universally calming and work but are addictive and cause other issues after short term use. Dont be too upset abiut ssris they havent really studied long term effectsbut they do know they effect the eyes if you do research. Not saying that means people who use ssris will get eye issues but its a prooven study in the effects. Depending on mental issues some people really need meds to function. Syaing that is not a personal opinion its always a personal preferance thats the science end of it. Panic attacks and anxiety are difficult for science at this time, new meds are rare. I believe nano texhnology if it ever becomes public will help because it will be specific to the person and the a erage potluck thing. The other theory is its some virus or somethinglike h pylori or syphillis and until that is discovered its potluck. For whatever reason this is a complex area of study, hoprfully technology can figure it out.  Saying that one can overcome anxiety without meds, not saying everyone but half of the people can, i believe  it would referred to manually over ridding it. I have done this many a time and know others. Cbt is ine. Mindfullness techniques is anither. Theres reiki, yoga, eft..etc..it requires you full belief and practice. Minks can calm their bodies mind over matter. It is very possible and doable but requires focus and attitude change.  Ine must go on a clean diet and many foods are linked to anxiety, actually not foods but chemical additives. So the earth diet or a clean diet needed. Next is to exercise it provides natural chemical changes and aids the body to function at its best. And meditation, real mediation there are many healing meditations and qi ging  are great. If you really want this to be managed you must change your attitude and way of thought. Retrain your thinking basically. Manually over ride it. It has absolutely been done. Again these have been prooven effective over and over again but depending on mental issues you have. This is a personal journey. I will say there is no happy pill out there. There is no real lingbtern wuick fix in a bottle not for anxiety, panic attacks. So no matter what path you take a person ith anxiety will have to change their attitudes towards it and themselves. Cbt and mindfullness techniques are staoles and mandatory to the road of healing. There are also other cultures who handle it vastly different. Thats worth learning about as well. Too many and too long to post that. The usa, uk and first world countries have the highest rate of anxiety issues so that says something. I m not sure if becomea food related, electronic or just major exonomic stresses involved but thats statistics. Communal living enviornments lowest, maybe because of the comradery i dint know. Native americans treat it completly different. You need to find what works for you. 
  • Posted

Paxil and Lexapro have worked for me.  I hope you find something that works!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.