When to add fiber supplement after flare?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I had my 3rd attack in 10 years a few weeks ago  Am better, went liquid diet to very low-fiber diet.  Pain is gone, occasional twinge, but I am not yet having regular BM.  I take a stool softener about every other day and then usually have one, albeit pretty small.  Want to add fiber slowly - and guess same with fiber supplement.  Anyone taken the fiber con capsule?  I think benefiter is pretty much just soluble fiber - maybe preferable for me since I also have IBS.  Just wondering when I should start it.  Have also heard that Konsyl is good (that's a US brand, I think).  Because I have high anxiety and stress, health nutrionist wants me to try a Gabatril supplement which is suppose to calm you down.  Also said I prob needed a digestive enzyme, but wants to wait on that until I am more settled - which I never am with the IBS!!  I am trying to come off the anti-depressant amitriptyline, and anxiety caused by that is what I think triggered this flare.  I am one of those who everyone thinks always has everything under control!  If they only knew what i was like "inside".  Too much of a perfectionist all my life.  

Any advice about adding back in fiber is appreciated!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Wow you are so blessed for your attacks to be so far apart how you manage that? Has yours ever gotten infected to where you had to be put on the antibiotics? i have two infections just 10 months apart!  Still not using bathroom very well and thinking of doing prune juice and something!
    • Posted

First one I was in the hospital b/c I didn't know what it was until it had a slight perforation.  Second one and this one just on antibiotics which worked quickly.  I think taking probiotics this last time has really helped get me over it more quickly.  Yes, I realize I am blessed after reading some of these other comments, for which I am very thankful!  I find stool softeners are helping some.

• Posted

I just use one I picked up at Walmart - their brand.  Doesn't cause any cramping - not like a laxative, just makes the stool softer and easier to pass.

• Posted

Can you take a stool softner when your on the liquid diet after a flare up? Seems like it wwouldn help, but I don't want to do anything to make things worse right now. This is my first flare.

• Posted

I did about 3 days in b/c I got worried about constipation.  They are safe - and really helped me.  Now (2 weeks after finishing antibiotics) I have started taking a Fiberone capsule.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up