When to have op

Posted , 14 users are following.

i am new to this page. I am 55 and have lost lot of movement in my hip. X-ray shows nothing to inject into. So op is next option. I walk with a limp 75 per cent of the time (friends tell me) pain level not too bad. The biggest prob is shoes and socks, unable to do these unaided! Driving manual car after a walk, getting discomfort, after 6000 step walk aching. I am wondering if I should just carry on until really painful, or have done. I feel relatively young to be needing this I feel. My excercise levels have decreased so gaining bit extra weight too. Still swim, walking etc. So my question is do I wait for real pain, or get done before while bit fitter? 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had mine late last year.. Doing well 6 months later. I do not regret it for a minute!
  • Posted

Things can quickly deteriorate from the stage you are at now to being really horrible and if you are in the UK there is the probable wait for the op to be scheduled.

Get as much advice as posssible and needless to say talk to the orthopaedic team

• Posted

Sharon I think you can have a pain free and better quality of life. Many hippies here have had some type of hesitation making the decision to go foreword with THR surgery. After we have had the surgery and time to heal we always wonder why we hesitated. Life is so much improved after hip replacement.

Just a little info. Last year, more than 65,000 hip replacements were performed on the NHS and more than 30,000 in private hospitals. After 12 days, Most improve and require only one crutch and none at all after three weeks. Pain is always controlled by medication,

After 12 days on average most THR patients only one crutch and none at all after three weeks. Physio therapy helps us get strong again and back on our feet.

About 80 per cent of the newest implants have a lifespan of more than 20 years, with many lasting even longer - this is thanks to the robust ceramic now used on the rubbing surfaces. I just had a revision using the ceramic. My first was in my fouties.now three THR later I am always thankful for the option for THR. 

A new technique was developed in the U.S. called SuperPath, or the micro-superior approach, which has Ben around since 2014. Of course there are many approaches and to study each one is very helpful to find a surgeon .

Much success and on to joining the hippie group. I'm sure many here will chime in with more opinions and experiences.

• Posted

Hi Sharon I had just turned 57 when I had my hip op 21 months ago. My hip was really stiff and I had pain in thigh and groin but was not really bad. I was still exercising but couldn't do certain exercise. My surgeon told me if I left it, it would get a lot worse very quickly. I had the op and never regretted it.  Good luck xx

• Posted

Thanks for that. Good to know someone similar age. This whole page is excellent for getting. Advice.
  • Posted

I had mine done at 56 last year was same as you pain not awful but had a limp , could not do shoes etc. Now 8 months on finally feeling the benefits and don't regret it but the operation is brutal .your probably delaying the inevitable if you postpone it but it's been a tough ride but pain free now ... apart from some persistent groin pain . Much more active now tho ... x

• Posted

HI Sharon

​I was exactly the same as you.  at 54 I couldnt reach to put on socks or fasten shoes. the pain was bad after walking maybe a mile.  though I limped all the time.  I decided to put it off as I thought as I could sleep at night unless really overdone it. and was fine in the house.  Mainly becuase I was scared of complications and thought that it might be better than that.  but then just before I was 55 it deteriorated almost overnight to SEVERE pain. taking declofenac and paracetomol together only took the edge off.  I was unlucky in as much as my consultant suddenly retired and had to go on another waiting list back to the start. during the wait my back was affected, my other side with compensating, and I had pain all of the time including in bed.  I thought the damage was done and left it to late to reciver properly.  however I had my hip replaced on the 2nd of June - I am 56 next month.  I only used painkillers for 10 days. and now not even a paracetamol been required.  I can feel the awful pain already has gone and the damage I feared was done to my back I hope seems to have rectified itself.  The worst of the recovery thing is lying on my back, whihc compared to what I had before I can put up with as end in sight, but honestly the operation was nothing as bad as I feared, the recovery much easier than I anticipated.  My consultant said he prefers to operate when required before you do further damage and I should have taken his advice. Plus they dont do it unless they have to.   I left it a bit longer than he advised and I should have bit the bullet and done it.. though I know why you want to delay. but I wish I hadnt put myself through the pain of the last 6 months.  Every day I get out the chair or clumb the stairs I still brace myself for the awful grinding pain that doesnt come and I am still in disbeleif that it is gone! I am only 26 days after and already life is better even with one crutch and the hip restrictions. In any case the hip restrictions imposed I couldnt do anyway before it as my mobility had got so bad and stiff.   x

• Posted

Yep I was about the same. Nov/Dec 2015 not too bad but in between waiting to see NHS Consultant in July and having op in September 2016, it rapidly became agonising to do anything. Plus couldn't sleep, back was out of shape and developed really painful tendonitis in my other leg. I'd advise to get the ball rolling Sharon as you may have a bit of a wait anyway. 🤔

• Posted

Hi my rt hip had been steadily deteriorating over the past 4yrs. I'm 58 & since christmas 17 the pain is now dreadful. I am finally getting a new hip August 18th can't wait. I personally weigh that i could of had this done years ago...... i have always worked full time and considerf myself fairly youngish lol unfortunately i am unable to work as the pain effects my mobility i walk very badly my posture is dreadful (friends have commented) and i am compensating leaning on the good side. this all sounds Finn and gloom. But if i had had the opportunity to have a replacment earlier would of jumped at the chance while young . Julie

• Posted

Dear Sharon

I would suggest that for you the best option is ro have the surgery sooner rather than later.

All the best Richard

• Posted

Hi Sharon, I'm 62 and have osteoarthritis in both hips, I first saw a surgeon 5 years ago at which point I was already using a stick and was told I wasn't old enough, I'm now at the point I've had to take time away from work and my mobility is at an all time low/stop level, I'm having my first op July 11th and if I could turn back the clock I would have happily had it 5 years ago, don't wait until your at your lowest have it done sooner and enjoy your life.X

• Posted

dear sharon, 

warm welcome to the best hippies forum where we share our personal experiences and stories - we come in all ages and stages on this journey as you can already see from responses you received.

The decision is, of course, all yours and yours only - Most of us agree that, on hindsight, we wonder why we waited so long ... I was in denial for years - 

you already are experiencing limitations of movement and trust us, it won't get better ...

like other have said here, get the ball rolling - come here anytime you have questions or concerns -

to be honest, don't wait for the pain to be unbearable ... it is hell ...

are you taking any pain medication ?

you are not alone, darling and certainly not the youngest ....

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.