When to start therapy after shoulder surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm just wondering, for anyone out there who had rotator cuff surgery and acrioplasty, how soon did your therapy start and what kind of pain, and "where" in the shoulder will I feel pain?

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

I did haberdashers one tear that required one anchor and 3 stitches for the supraspinatus tendon.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Depending what they find and what they do you are usually in a sling for a while but you will normally see a physio who will show you some gentle mobility exercises to do.  I started the exercises the day after my operation and didn't have any pain, but I have been told that I have an extremely high pain threshold so it well may be different for you.  Just remember to ice the area after doing the mobility exercises.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

If your asking about "Acromioplasty" which is also known as decompression, then it's a very standars adjunct to a rotator cuff repair.

Your pain will depend on how extensive the repair is i.e. how many tendons are involved, hown many rows of suturing are made and how many anchors are used.

The more extensive the repair, the more likely you'll get scarring and adhesions that can take a few months to resolve. Age plays a part, but it really imposible to say exactly where your pain will be. Lots of people on the forum will tell you about their pain, but that's not an indication that you will experience the same.

Unfortunately rotator cuff repair has a well-earned reputation for being painful. Especially during the first three or four months. You'll still feel discomfort and odd sensations for 8 or 9 months and most people don't feel normal again for a whole year. That doesn't men pain for a year - it tapers off - but it's a long journey.

Hope that helps.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I started therapy six weeks after my immobilizer was removed. I started with passive exercises such as bending from the waist and swinging my arm in a circular motion. I went 3 days a week for 4 months. It is painful but worth it if you want your range of motion back. I was discharged with 85% range and now three months later with home exercises my full range is back. In my opinion the surgery and rehab was worth it. I had excruciating pain prior to surgery and I am almost pain free! P.S. The pain I felt was in the shoulder and muscle in the upper arm. Best of luck!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up