When to take ant biotics

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

i have recently been released from hospital .

i went to my g.p. With pains in my left side.

i was sent to hospital where my appendix was removed. No scans just physical assessments. I returned to work 2 weeks later but still had discomfort in left area. Thought no more of it as was sure it would get better.

i went on holiday and thought that the rest would do me good.  The pains got worse so ended up in hospital in Tenerife where after a scan ,diverticulitis was diagnosed .

5 days later and antibiotics I came home. I have since had low level pain in the left side (similar to a groin strain) but last night and this morning the pain has worsened.

i have started a liquid only diet this morning. 

My doctor has given me a course of anti biotics but at what stage do I start taking them?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Julie, I would start taking them straight away. Did your appendix need removing or was it a mis-diagnosis? I am waiting for a ct colonoscopy scan and I've been for blood tests today to test for overactive thyroid and diabetes? Not in any pain at the moment but taking course of antibiotics for a UTI. Hope you feel better after your medication and I suppose it's just a case of being careful what you eat!

best wishes Kate 

• Posted

Hi

I don't know about the appendix because at the time I didn't realise there was a problem. I went in , in pain they diagnosed .took it out and then I went home. Painkillers etc masked problem for about a week. I then assumed the pain was because I had done too much after the Op.

i am assuming it didn't really have to come out but who knows.

am concerned about the antibiotics because this will be my third course in 6 weeks 

i hope you get your scan date soon ..Good Luck

• Posted

Now! As soon as you start to get those tell-tale colicky stomach pains. I went to my GP a week ago with pains and she suggested buscapan instead of antibiotics. A week later I ended up having to go to A&E in extreme pain to get the high strength antibiotics that I should have got in the first place.
    • Posted

My G.P has given me a course.to keep ready but that's why I am unsure when to start them .

I don't get colicky symptoms just a pain down the left side (similar to appendix) 

normally I have a constant ache in the same place (similar to a toothache)

I am concerned because as above I have had so many antibiotics recently.

Am I right in thinking the blockage won't just clear and has to have antibiotics.? 

• Posted

I would suggest you take them as soon as you get your 'appendix' type pain, otherwise if you leave it too long and the infection takes hold, you'll end up being very unwell (like I am currently). You'll soon get to know the tell tale signs, but I know what you mean about taking so many antibiotics and In the beginning I was hesitant about going to the GP as soon as I had any pain but I really need to. The antibiotics will only cure the infection caused by the blockage. If you can stop the blockage, you can reduce the chance of infection and need for antibiotics. Are you on any laxatives?
    • Posted

You must start taking probiotics as well as the antibiotics and continue with these afterwards. If the pain is not too bad you can wait a day or two to see if you improve with the liquid diet. Do you have a fever? If so you should start the antibiotics. I have had two or three bouts of this without fever since I was hospitalised for it last year and each time I have had left side pain, general windy pains but no fever and I have dealt with it with lots of rest, a liquid diet for 3/4 days and then slowly returning to a low fibre diet for about a week with small portions to start with. Since I started the probiotics every day I have been ok apart from the odd twinge every so often.
    • Posted

Thank you.

i don't think I have a fever but the hot flushes are getting in the way of being certain.

the liquid route seems to be working so am going to stay with it unless things don't improve soon.

I have a metallic taste in my mouth which I have had since the first course of antibiotics any thoughts ?

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are not well at the moment.

As with everyone I am sure this has come as quite a shock and literally life changing.

• Posted

Hi Julie, forgot to mention, I have started taking Probiotics capsule form as I read on the net they're far better than yogurts or drinks. I got mine from Amazon cost about £18 can't say anymore as I've only been taking them for a week or so and for any benefit, like anything else, you need to take for at least a month. Regards Kate
    • Posted

Thanks have just bought a shed load of the drinks but will try the capsules as soon as these are finished.

thank you for your support.

• Posted

Hi Julie, 

Try aloe vera juice as well as probiotics, they really seem to help with calming the inflammation down, and also help to smooth the passages, have been using these since July and haven't had any major flare ups since then. Katie

• Posted

A bout of new infection for me has different sytmptoms; often I run a temperature for days before I get any abdominal pain.  The lower left abdominal pain can be sharp twinges and twangs - enough to double me over; then I start the antibiotics.  I will hammer on again the wonders of ACIDOPHILIS from Holland and Barrett (20 billion dose) friendly bacteria for your gut to take every day and help restore the gut microflora that fight off the bad bacteria.  For ten months I was ill more than I was well; began taking them and have had five fabulous months without even a twinge!! Certainly worth you trying them.  Read in The Telegraph that just one lot of antibiotics can damage the healthy gut microflora for months and sometimes even years; Acidophilis restores the balance and gives you a chance to fight the bugs.  But do NOT delay taking the antibiotics once those lower left gut pains hit - because you will just end up with a worse infection.  Good luck....tis a B of condition to live with for sure!
    • Posted

I have noticed an improvement since I started on the probiotics. I still get the odd twinge especially after eating some meats ( roast lamb is a culprit) but have not had a flare up since July. I take aloe vera juice as well and stave off any constipation with magnesium and a couple of chunks of crystallised ginger every day (well chewed). I also eat raw garlic from time to time.
    • Posted

We are all SO different; even a hint of garlic powder will give me pain within four or five hours!! Not an infection obviously; but a painful response that lasts until it all passes through; and is an painful as a full blown DD bout while it lasts!

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up