When was your carbimazole reduced? I'm worried and in a mess

Posted , 3 users are following.

Could people share their experiences of carbimazole and at what point it was reduced? My T4 was in normal range 3 weeks ago (17.9) but my doctor pput my carb up to 25mg. I didn't feel right so dropped back to 20mg and last Friday through to Monday I felt on top of the world compared to previously. Then suddenly on Tuesday things took a nosedive again. I felt really tired and depressed and sluggish. And this terrible jaw clenching which I've never had before. I thought maybe I'd gone hypo so decided to drop to 15mg as doc away for 2 weeks and next blood test not for 3 weeks. But I still feel no better. Please help!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

In Canada  docs test for TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.  On 10 mg of Methimazole my Free T4 and Free T3 dropped into the normal range but my TSH did not rise from less than 0.001 for 2 years so my Methmazole dose was not adjusted.  Then I read a research paper about the benefits of adding Regular L-Carnitine 3,000 to 4,000 mg to the treatment plan and when I did, my TSH finally began to rise.  So my dosage of Methimazole was dropped to 5 mg (too much as I got symptoms again so I had to go back up to 7.5 mg) until my TSH rose a little higher.  Then added more supplements and my TSH finally rose to normal range whereupon my Methimazole dosage was lowered to 2.5 mg per day and then 2.5 mg every other day.  You really need ALL your thyroid lab test reports and you should always get and keep copies of them. 
    • Posted

Thanks. My TSH was still <0.01 so still low. sleep is rubbish.  even with sleping pills. i;m a wreck now, so="" still="" low.="" sleep="" is="" rubbish. ="" even="" with="" sleping="" pills.="" i;m="" a="" wreck="">
    • Posted

Do you know if coconut is detrimental to the thyroid gland?
  • Posted

Jun update. I reinstated my full dose of carb a few days ago and elt much better yesterday. Not too bad today either. Shouldn't have messed with my dose, I guess. Sometimes we have a good day or two and then a bad few days. I have to learn to weather them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.