When will Citalopram start working?

Posted , 2 users are following.

i am marie 28yrs old i have been on this drug for 2 months 20mg at 1st i saw a massive improvement i was not paranod all the time and i was a happy women for a while, now after 2 moths i am getting my bad thoughts back i am worried that bad things are going to happen all the thime. ~I am seaking advice from my GP tomorrow, but i have a a few events coming up and i am scared that i will get to the point where i am a mess again.

my daughter is going away on a 2 day school trip and all i think of is bad things that can happen while she is there. is not good i am loosing my mind. my husband is great but he doesnt full understand.

Please if any one else has been like this please advise on how i can get thought this

Marie

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan & Marie

Has your doctor suggested therapy? AD's are okay but they aren't a cure.

Perhaps some Cognitive Behaviour Therapy would help you?

To me giving someone AD's and not offering counselling or some sort of therapy alongside taking the meds is like giving somone painkillers for a broken bone but not dealing with the bone.

If he/she hasn't suggested counselling or therapy, then perhaps you could ask him at your next visit.

Melbi x

• Posted

Hi thanks for your replys i have been back to my GP today and i have been given a higher dose 40mg and offed CBT which i am going to take up. I was given details of relaxation exercises,

Any advised of ways of dealing with anxiety and i also suffer with being parinod manly that bad things are going to happen to my children or that I am going to lose my job, both of which i can see now are not likely to happen but when i get these thoughts I have no way of seeing this and its affecting not just mine but my husband and children lifes and i dont want to keep spoiling things for them.

All advised welcome

Marie

(sorry about the bad spellng)

• Posted

Hi Marie,

I hope that the higher dose will do the trick for YOU. I am new to Citalopram and not all that experienced, but here one detail, which may help you. To me, Citalopram was a revelation and as I kept a diary for side effects and good effects, I can tell you pretty exactly when I started feeling good. I spoke to my husband about it and he could kind of relate to it but said, that to HIM the change was apparent a lot earlier.

But then I found out I am pregnant and were told to stop.

but didn't like it. So I went jo-jo for a few days (on tablets, off tablets) and found that for ME there was a clear \"now it works - now it don't\", once again, that was not as clearly matched by how I came across the outside world. So probably both YOU and your GP are right. Yes, you probably were a lot better, but no, for you yourself it didn't do the trick anymore. But how it feels for you is the crucial point, I think. If you don't feel the safety net of it, you don't really have the benefit setting your mind free to work with your CBT, never mind you coming across as more alert or getting out of bed better or are not so weepy - or whatever else it was your GP saw.

Hang in there, the light is on its way. You sound like a really nice person, thoughtful of your family and all - think of yourself a bit, too.

Love you, sister.

Heidi

• Posted

Thanks Heidi for your kind words, the higher dose has not kicked in yet and i had an awlful day yesterdaybut things seam clearer today.

Good luck with the baby i have to little angels of my own. Pregnacy hormones can make you feel alot more depressed i suffered badly with my 1st before and after the birth.

I was give relaxation methods, you can find details on the patient Uk web site under self help, i find this worked really well when i was having a panic attack at 2am this morning and this provented things getting to badly out of control.

I am bad to work tomorrow after 4 days leave and i am dreading it i have been checking my emails from home as i have a company lap top and its like i am going to be walking back into a desaster zone.

I will have to take sleeping pills tonight other wise i will be up worring.

anyway thanks again and i wish you all the happyness life can bring

Marie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.