When will it stop?

Posted , 2 users are following.

So I ended up vomiting just as I was about to eat dinner, 

I don't know why but I keep having rapid thoughts, palpitating heart and constant nausea, I keep telling myself it's just the side effects. It's been nearly 3 weeks now, and while I have had numerous good days, I still keep getting horrible bouts of anxiety and nausea, sometimes vomiting too.

I was able to carry on, and ate my dinner. I keep worrying that the fluoxetine isn't working. 

I've been reassured by a few people: My Doctor, one of my managers (who told me that I should see improvements soon) and my mother as well. I've read dozens of reviews that all say to keep taking the medication for around 6 weeks.

My mood keeps fluctuating, one moment I feel fine, the next I feel on edge. It's like a rollercoaster.

I just want to get better, I keep telling myself I will feel the benefits soon and that I will be better. 

I just hope I start to recover. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robert, I am on day 5 and I almost vomited yesterday due to the side effects. I have had terrible stomach ache and churning with very little appetite. I read some forums yesterday and learned that the meds are very acidic so I had a glass of milk before bed last night and today I have been much better. I take the meds at about 6pm in the evening which seems a little better than in the mornings. I too am being told to persevere but it’s hard, particularly when feeling so anxious. The meds are designed to help so we must have trust in that. Good luck. H
    • Posted

Hi there,

I've heard a lot about the acidity of fluoxetine. I take mine in the morning before I get up. A lot of people say you should take it with food. So I might try and do that in the morning instead.

The anxiety is the hardest part, brings back a lot of horrible memories of when I suffered from anxiety and became underweight (before I decided to take medication) I keep telling myself it won't be like that again, and that soon I will be back to normal.

• Posted

Robert, 

I forgot how long you have been on it?  It takes up to 12 weeks to get the total benefit in my opinion and according to my Dr.  I’m on week 8, and I’m finally seeing some improvement at 40mg.  He wants me to keep going up to 80mg depending on the side effects.  I get the nausea also and terrible anxiety.  It is so slow unfortunately.  If you are seeing little bits of improvement then it should get there eventually.  My Dr said if you are getting bad side effects, that’s a good sign.  Hang in there, it is awful, I know.  

• Posted

Oh I see it says 3 weeks, yes that is definitely not long enough.  The fact that you are seeing some improvement like a rollercoaster is a very good sign.  I was still having a lot of problems at 3 weeks.
    • Posted

Thats reassuring to know, a lot of peopld have been telling me that I should be nearing the end of my adjustment period. It's just been so annoying. I've called in sick at my workplace twice now because the symptoms have been so bad. My parents keep pressurising me to go back to work, but part of me keeps saying I need to sort this out in my own time.

• Posted

Wow that’s great that you’ve been able to go to work.  Twice doesn’t sound like much to miss at all.  I could not have worked for this past 7 weeks.
  • Posted

Try not to worry about weight.  When I first started dealing with anxiety 20 years ago I worried I was going to get too skinny and something bad would happen to me.  I lose my appetite with anxiety.  Well, I’m still here 20 years later, nothing happened to me because of that, and eventually it got better.
    • Posted

I keep telling myself that it will get better. And that I need to ride this out in my own pace.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.