When will the pain go away?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had all kinds of scans and blood test for gallbladder problems. Every single test came back normal. Internal dr. said it was Billiary colic and the gallbladder should come out. Had it taken out on June 30, 2015. Today is August 21, 2015, and I'm still in pain every single day. Had an endoscope done two weeks ago for h pylori and that came back negative. Went to surgeon today and he said he I'd at a loss and has nothing more he can do for me. Pain is where my Gallblader was, in my right rib cage and right side of my back. I have no food issues. I take gabbitentin for headaches, but does nothing for pain. Only pain med help. I cannot sit for long and cannot bend at the waist. How long does it take to heal?  From reading other posts, maybe I won't be pain free. Feeling sad. Too young for this crap? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had mine out on June 8th and still deal with cramping in my back and phantom GB pain.

I think we all heal at our own speed and sometime we push ourselves too hard and don't realize it.

Your body is still adjusting to losing an organ. It might take a while to cope and get used to it.

• Posted

Thank you for the quick reply. That is what I'm hoping. Just need time to heal. The pain is every minute, everyday. Looking forward to a recovery. Best of luck in your recovery.
  • Posted

I had my gall bladder taken out on June 24, 2015. Today is August 22 and I have pain still. Gall bladder taken out laproscopically. I had a previous abdomonal laprotomy. Every day I have pain, mostly on right upper quadrant. Had CT scan, MRI, MRCP and Endoscopy with ultrasound to make sure no bile leakage or stones. Tests all came negative. Blood tests are fine, as well as stool test, urine test. In the CT scan, they found a small area of fluid which the doctor says is hematoma, and could be causing the pain. But it's been so long. I'm thinking it could be sphincter of Oddi disorder. My Gastro doctor doesn't think so. I hope not either. But can't believe these doctors can't find an answer. I get pain 4 times a day. At least pain is getting less intense this last 2 weeks. Before, the pain was terrible. I needed 2 percocets and 4 motrin just to get by. Now I get by with just a motrin.
  • Posted

also forgot to mention that the surgeon needed to do lysis of adhesions for me due to the previous laprotomy surgery. He said that due to this, could be causing me pain. But I don't know.... gone on for too long.

I also had a lot of pain 2 weeks after surgery in my right lower quadrant. He found a inguinal hernia. Dr makes it seem it is independent of the gall bladder surgery, but having pain in the right upper quadrant, and then in the right lower quadrant...and saying they are independent of each other, especially when I feel it only after the surgery?? What can i do? When is this pain going to go away?

• Posted

I have had pretty much the same test and outcome that you have. I wish I could tell you the pain will go away soon or in time, but honestly who knows. Friends I have that had their gallbladder removed keeps telling me how good they feel, which makes me feel worse. After reading all of the other posts we are not alone, and the pain is real. Try to keep on top of the pain. I have found that if I lay on my back with an ice bag where the gallbladder use to be does give temporary relief. Freeze the hell out of that pain. Try that at night before you go to bed. I wish you the best. 
  • Posted

Hi bird lover,,, just a thought that might help, I'm two and a half weeks post op now, I was fine with Codine/co codamol before op but gives me pains likening ad when I had a gallbladder attack post op, have you tried changing meds? I also still have to take my lansoprazole to keep the acid levels down or I feel crap and get really bad stomach cramps needing to run to the loo,, (I stopped them but Sussed this three days later) ... X
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply. I do take two different acid reflux Meds which does help with heart burn. As for pain Meds I pretty much have to go without during the day, but I have hydrocodone I can take a night which then wires me. I have not had bathroom issues thank heavens, but I have heard that is very common. Geeze, you would think a surgery that was fine to help you, wouldn't make you feel worse. I guess we just give it time and hope for the best. 
    • Posted

Yeah I thought that too but I guess it takes time to settle,,, try asking for a different pain relief? It's worth a try? Keep updating, I've got quite a few tips off here along with the feeling I'm not alone which is really nice .. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.