Where did my sleep go?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi lafies i have been having difficulty sleeping altho am tired , cannot seem to get enought rest..wod b awake by 4:30 an just can't shut my eyes after dat..it takes a toll on me in d day wit dizziness , blurred eyes an pain with headaches.

Anyone else with this issue?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes...I am the same...no problems falling asleep but over the last week have started waking up about 4am....no reason...i just am awake and thats it. I lie in bed until 6 then get up. I used to have to set my alarm for 7am but never sleep that late now....a sleep in is 5 30-6am.
    • Posted

Janine, I moght be able to offer you a biological explanation for this.  

When we lose our estradiol, the adrenal glands attempt to compensate for that loss, so they start to over produce.  These are our fight or flight hormones.  This is where woman get into anxiety and earlier morning awakenings.  It just a chemical thing.  Usually, taking some estrogen helps a woman sleep better and more soundly.

• Posted

Thanks Gailanne....i suspected adrenals were getting affected as I was getting those horrible surge wakeups sometimes. I would wake up with a jolt. I have cut out all caffeine and have really noticed a difference. My doctor has told me not to take hrt because of raised cholesterol and heart disease on our family. Do you know are there any natural things I can take/eat to raise oestrogen? I have read it can go up and down erratically in peri so that would explain why I get anxious for no reason sometimes too smile

• Posted

Janine,  probably the best thing for perimeno is to do the total body thing.  Drink lots of water, eat really healthy food, lots of vegies, some exercise (don't over due it), REDUCE STRESS IN YOUR LIFE, take a good multi vitamin, and make sure you get a good nights sleep everyday.  Anything you can give your body to help it adjust is a good thing.  

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for this post!  I have been on an estrogen reducing drug, and I was up 24 hours two days in a row last Thursday and Friday.  But, I wasn't sleepy at all, instead, felt very energentic, almost, manic.  Had to take an ambien to sleep.  So now I know what the problem is...

Bless you!

• Posted

Thanks gailanne. .i have had a huge amount of stress lately so am definitely going to make an effort to destress and meditate more. I am trying to eat better but find i crave sugar still sometimes. I can't indulge though because it just makes me feel bad for days afterwards. There is a lot of truth to the saying 'you are what you eat'!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.