Where do I go now?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Saw a private Consultant ib Saturday to ask for advice on pain. His advice was to stop eating any bran and to take buscopan!!! I think I already knew that so a disappointing consultation so am back to square one regarding the ongoing pain. My GP has referred me to a dietician as I struggle with knowing what to eat and what not to eat. I feel there is no professional out there to give me any advice and the daily intermittent pain gets me down and makes my anxiety worse. It is more of a discomfort than pain but I am very aware if it. I have it most days. My colonoscopy did not show any diverticular but a CT scan showed some in the middle sigmoid. I have never had a flare up or had antibiotics and at present have been prescribed dicycloverine. I just wish the pain would go as it's been going on for months now. The GP seems to think I could also have IBS. Seems an expensive way to get very little help but I'm clutching at straws and that was the last resort. I'm sure pain should not be every day but with DD it appears anything is possible. Onwards and upwards!!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi ..

i have made a video on youtube the title is called 

Diverticulitis-My personal help for you!

just copy and paste that for search 

i hope it helps & good luck..

• Posted

I take fybergel mabevarine and a probiotic every morning it really helps me. I have DD and IBS   I am doing good with what I can eat due to keeping a food diary. I have pain every day in lower left side but I take paracetamol and that seams to help. I paid 300pounds to see a consultant privately and it was abit of a waist of time   He did send me for a sigmoidoscopy and 4 biopsys that have come back clear. He thought I might have colitis. Have you kept a food diary? If not I would do it so you can see what food is coursing you pain. Good luck 
  • Posted

Where do you get the pain ? 

I'm guessing you had a flexibe sidmoidoscopy as this only investigates your sidmoid colon .

CT scans are the gold standard for detecting diverticulosis. 

Who has ordered these scans 

Are you seeing a colorectal surgeon or even a gastroentologist ?

Is it the gp who has requested your scans ?

• Posted

Pain is mainly left hand side but sometimes goes across the colon to right. I have not had a sigmoidoscopy as I had a colonoscopy. I have had 2 CT scans within 6 months. One ordered by a Gastroenterologist who I paid privately to see and a follow up one requested by him in September. I paid again to see a different Gastroenterologist last Saturday who is a Professor in this field. Alot of money for very little help in the way forward.
    • Posted

I am in West Yorkshire and was told by my GP that I can't see a dietitian because they don't have any in leeds   When I asked a friend who works in the NHS she told me yes they do   So I don't know what my GP was on about   I had a colonoscopy last year and a sigmoidoscopy 3 months ago I am still waiting for a appointment to talk about results. I spoke to my GP who told all biopsys were ok 

• Posted

Was just asking because I'm seeing a professor gastroentologist thought it might be the same professor but he is based in Manchester 

• Posted

Hi Paul. Hope you get more information than I did!! Interesting he told me not to eat bran flakes. Trouble is messages are contradictory for DD. My consultant told me to eat what I like. Wonder what a dietician will tell me? Let me know how you get on.
  • Posted

Hello, after DD was confirmed early this year I suffered with lower left hand side pain for months. Eventually I saw a dietician privately who advised the Fodmaps diet. I was initially very sceptical but after two weeks of avoiding high Fodmap foods the pain disappeared.

Although I still have discomfort on bending I feel so much better. I understand this diet is usually employed to bring relief to people with IBS.  Anyway, worth trying! Information and lists of foods to avoid can be found online.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up