Where does it hurt...posterior repair

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi there,

Possibly a silly question but I'm getting a little concerned....where is it normal to have pain / discomfort?? Mine is all just below my coccyx where my tail bone is, is this normal? I have no discomfort from the actual surgery, it's all in my bum. I'm taking regular paracetamol but it's so intense the pain wakes me up multiple times a night. Other than that I feel fine, no sign of infection and everything else seems to be heeling fine. TIA

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm nearly 3 weeks post op btw
    • Posted

Hi, I'm nearly 8 weeks post op and what you have is quite normal, mine is feeling much better now but still get the occasional twinge from exactly the same spot. I also use that as a sign I'm doing too much and rest, I also feel it more when I need to have a poo. Rest really is the key with this surgery. I'm also due to return to work next week.
  • Posted

That sounds about right.  I eloquently describe the pain (I'm five weeks out from surgery) as having a pineapple stuffed up my butt.

There is a tremendous amount of stitching done between the vaginal wall and the wall of the collapsed rectum.  The stitching forms the framework for the healing tissues, and you must always keep in mind that the body gets VERY ANGRY when it is insulted with surgery!

It's my understanding this is the healing time for this repair, to develop the scar tissue necessary to keep everything where it belongs.  I sit on a microwave heating pad, I make sure I take my stool softeners and Miralax, I drink lots of water, and I'm very good friends with my pill bottle.

Six to eight weeks.  I'm so looking forward to feeling "normal" again!

~VOW

• Posted

I was wonderIng if I've been over doing it but I've hardly done anything. Just pottered about the house, for the most of it. I can not imagine going back to work a week on Monday 😁
  • Posted

Hi, that's normal where you have the pain, I still get a bit if discomfort there if I've over done things (15 weeks) also the 'pineapple' stuffed up your butt feeling - mine has finally started to feel a little bit normal not perfect but very slightly starting to subside, when I went for my check they said it could take up to 6 months! Good luck x
  • Posted

I had pain there too which made me wince at times but my Dr told me that my prolapse was very big at the back hence the pain lm week 7now and it has eased hope this helps
  • Posted

I measure my recovery by the housework I can do.  I make many small trips, and I don't push myself to be Superwoman.  I keep drinking my water, take frequent pee breaks, and in the evening, I sit down with my pain pills, curl up into a ball, and cry a little.

Thank GAWD I'm retired.

I do want to go on walks.  But I plan on giving it another week or so, since I don't want to pee on every tree and fire hydrant.

~VOW

• Posted

Hi Lisa. You have described it well. I am over four months post op and I feel pretty good most of the time. I'm back to walking and doing pretty much what I used to. However, I look after my one year old grandson one day a week and at the end of the day I think  I've probably done too much as I get a dull ache and dragging feeling in that area which reminds me that things are not back to normal yet. I think this surgery takes a lot longer than I ever expected to totally recover from. It does get better with time though. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa,

Carolyn is right that dull ache is a sign that we are over doing things and putting stress on our repairs.

So best to slow down and be very careful not to overdo things. Progress should be taken slowly a little at a time and lots and lots of rest.

I had A@P repairs and they say that the posterior repair takes longer to heal.

I returned to work around 11/12 weeks, but only covering my 2x 5 hour contract shifts, no overtime yet. That isore than enough and it takes me a couple of days to recover from that.

Very few of the ladies manage back to work as early as 4 weeks, even 6 weeks can be too early for office workers. Having said that we all heal differently some quicker than others.

Look after yourself and listen to your body and try not to overdo things!

Phyl x☺

• Posted

The pain in and around your coccyx could be because the pudendal nerve is playing up.

This nerve runs all round that area, and can cause intense burning pain.

I had posterior repair eight weeks ago, and at six weeks had the most unbearable pain, used ice pack, but all it did was make my buttocks numb.

After a terrible weekend, it eased off on the Monday, and is more or less back to normal.

This surgery and all the swelling causes pain in the most unexpected places, and hopefully you will soon feel a bit more pain free.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up