where else to turn

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, i have tried about 4 different SSRIs, venlafaxine, propanolol, buspirone, and cognitive therapy, none have helped beat my life time of anxiety. I can have weeks i feel fine then it comes crashing down again. I don't know what else i can do. Even Dr is struggling to get to a grip of it. What else can i do???

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

there are many other therapy options, cbt is the very first thing to try, and often doesnt work.  ask your dr for a referal to psychotherapy for talking therapy, its a lot different and more effective than cbt
    • Posted

I agree with this, CBT can be good for some people but it does not work for everyone and there are other therapies.

I was having CBT online which was discontinued due to them deciding I was too severe to be suitable for it, my Dr has now referred me for intense psycotherapy where all available therapy options will e considered after initial assessment.

There is hope but you have to find the right therapy for you, we are all different and what works for some is no help to others so explore your therapy options with your doctor.

• Posted

It seems like there is no root cause and is general anxiety. Would taking therapy be good for this?
    • Posted

There is always a cause, anxiety is a reaction to something. It might be the cause is learned behaviour but it's still a cause that can be helped with therapy
    • Posted

Can remember always being an anxious person, even as a kid. And there is a history of mental illness in my family too
  • Posted

Have you seen an endocrinologist? Maybe you have a hormonal issue driving it. 
    • Posted

Of course! Plenty of men have testorone imbalances and there are many other hormones that run through men besides the ryoical ones everyone is aware of.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.