Where is the pain coming from

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm on day 27.  Have been 50/50 weight bearing for the last two weeks with crutches. I've not been fully released into the wild.  Tomorrow I start PT to gain confidence.  I've put weight on it this morning and I'm feeling pain in that joint area.  This is a DUMB question so I apologize but common sense is telling me that the pain would be coming from where they hammered in that new acetabulum and liner as well as there would be pain from where the hip head was sawed off and the new Corin mini-hip was HAMMERED in. Am I right?

Is that going to get better as I put weight on the joint?  I've not taken any pain meds recently so I'm guessing I will need to dope up before PT.  Any suggestions?  I want to swim but am restricted from full immersion until week 6

Good morning from Texas

Swim

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Two weeks is VERY early days.

Yes, you are correct about where the pain comes from. Added to that are the muscles that have been severely stretched during the op. They need strengthening and stretching. You feel better with some PT exercises under your belt.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Sorry...miss-read.
  • Edited

And...no question is dumb. Ask away ♡
  • Posted

Hi,

When I put weight on my hip I could feel the bone, it hurt a bit, that lasted until about week 12 when I noticed it no longer hurt when I walked without the crutch.

• Posted

Hi Swimbody-

I can't provide any insight into the cause of the pain nor I expect can anyone else on the forum- the best you can really get is anecdotal associations or similarities which won't really answer your question.  The best course of action IMO would be to consult with your surgeon- have them re-shoot the hip, possibly order a c-scan or even an MRI to get to the bottom of it.  Chances are you'll get push back from the doctor as those tests are expensive and depending on your insurance coverage and your doctors general approach they will often resist.  In those cases the only thing you can do is to advocate for yourself as strongly and insistently as necessary.  Refuse with determination to allow the surgeon to shrug you off or tell just give you platitudes,  If put int that position I would negotiate a timeline with the doctor within which if the pain was persistent all necessary steps to identify the cause would be taken and I wold keep the timeline short.  Let them know you are ready and able to seek a second opinion if required and if your concerns are not addressed.  Doctors are not infallible and we can not expect them to provide risk free procedures but we can and should hold their feet to the fire and keep them accountable for their work and mistakes if they are made.  As for as pain meds- I use Tylenol, aspirin and Ibeprofun in low doses along with a 50 mg Tramadol 2-3 times a day.  I find the Tramadol to be effective for mild [3.5-5.5] pain levels.  Ironically at day 20 post Hip Resurfacing, my primary pain is in the un operated hip which seems to have degenerated quickly in the months leading up to surgery and the weeks since.  The operated hip feels to be doing well, increasing in strength, ROM and balance/gait.  I credit that with an excellent surgeon, being in decent condition prior to surgery, and a strong determination to get through this coupled with a disciplined adherence to doing the home PT exercises given me at the hospital.  Stay strong and be well, keep trying and don't take no for an answer.  Best wishes.

Jim

• Posted

Hi I'm just starting week 6. Have no sticks or crutches but still get pain on standing after sitting for a while the pain is front of my thigh. It goes after a few steps. I do my exercises 4 times a day. I am now on a reduction of pain meds namely morphine.

I was told by my surgeon that it will take a full year to get over it completely.

• Posted

Let me clarify, I'm 46, a former collegiate swimmer (world ranked for several years), lost 22 pounds prior to surgery and was in great shape the day of surgery.  I just got home after touring Home Depot for some items I needed and every cotton top stares at me wondering what the hello could I be using crutches for. Some A$$ hat actually looked me up and down checking why I would need crutches and a handicap parking pass.

It is day 27, so that's almost 4 weeks, NOT 2 WEEKS, since surgery.  I get PT tomorrow at noon.  I'm just thinking that the pain is associated with the violence of hammering and exposed bone after the cut and placement of the implant and the fact that I've not put much weight on it at all since surgery...this was due to damage from an earlier surgery.  Most of you could walk from day one, and you were walking while on heavy pain pills.  I didn't get that advantage, I've been non weight bearing for 2 weeks and about 50/50 for an additional weight bearing while using crutches.  Big difference, I also was non cemented on both pieces of hardware unlike many of you.  

I'm simply wondering what pain others were feeling in my condition.  My surgeon is world class, one of the very best on the planet and he said I probably wouldn't need PT but I have a vacation scheduled in 24 days and I want to enjoy it without needing to drink all day long to numb the pain so I asked for PT, how many days is up to what was ordered.  I don't see me needing too much PT.  Any recommendations on pain pills taken before (time needed to numb) etc.

Thanks again and sorry for my obvious lack of comm clarification

• Posted

I don't know..I never experienced pain like that .the only discomfort was around the incision..but that was to be expected..everyone is different.....strange

I would call your dr

• Posted

Swimbody-

As mentioned, I find Tramadol to be effective without excessive euphoria or drowsiness.  It works well in combination with Tylenol.  I find the effects to kick in and begin soothing out the pain in about 45-60 minutes.  Once I got my dose and timing down I worked to stay ahead of the pain before it acted up and I was chasing it.  It has been helpful in letting me do the PT and exercises that help to heal.

• Posted

From Arkansas here and I envy you having had the surgery, I haven’t but I sure am ready for it.
  • Posted

Take the pain meds before you go to PT. You will vet more out of it. My ortho stopped PT after I stressed my IT band. You know it when that happens. I did progress more after stopping PT. Be sure to tell your PT about your pain. Tell your ortho too. If you research what they do with your keg while they are hammering in the prosthesis. Some prosthesis are cemented in.

• Posted

All I can say is go easy.... listen to your body, don’t push too hard.  I’m on week 9 .  I have tingling and numbness but not much pain.  I have flown to the Philippines from TaiwN. I have walked a lot.   But stiffness after sitting for a long time is still there.  I will start swimming again on week 11.

Take care !

• Posted

I had my left hip replaced two years ago.  Walked to PT in the hospital.  Recovery was short.  Driving to get my stitches removed (13 days).  This time...6 months of platitudes and dissembling about x-rays that don't image the fracture that CT confirmed.  I can walk with difficulty with the cane.  Dr. has nothing to offer.

• Posted

>  Dr. has nothing to offer.

that is terrible. Are you in US, UK, other?

• Posted

Hi. I had a bone graft and noncemented new hip. Did not experience the pain you're describing. Was allowed to weight bare but wasn't strong enough. In my opinion everyone should have PT. For how long, is depending on how it's going. We can continue with our exercises at home for ever after. 

Sorry but, why were you not allowed to weight bare? Sounds a bit more complicated than most of our ops. Maybe that is why you have some joint pain. How are yr sore muscles doing? 4 weeks is early on still. Never mind about those that walked early we are all different, as long as everything is ok. 

Denise. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.