Whether to start fluoxetine or not....

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi ,

I hve been diagnosed with moderate depression and prescribed 20 mg fluoxetine.....this all happened because of overworking with two of my little ones one of them recently diagnosed with some medical issue....and my husband not co- operating.he says depression is nothing. He is against taking anti depressants.....my working efficiency has decreased like anything....a lot of phobias..... I m learning driving as well so dat I cn take my little one to her physio therapy sessions as she is about to be 2 and not walking.....I m just thinking how I will react .... Wud I be still able to drop my son to his nursery after taking medicine.......and would it effect my driving as well.....my husband is not cooperating well enough......but I don't want to end relationship as he is quite good in some other things....there is lot of household work pressure.....and just thinking if I start taking it wud I be able to stop it some day or will hve to take it all thru life......and would it ruin my sex life also.....

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It says that depends on the person how they react and also to ask ur doc as for you relationship and sex life the most important thing is your own health or it will affect that only you can deside no one wants to take meds but if you need them or have been correctly diagnosed as needing them and you feel you need something then its your decision your partner is going by how he feels as as other people that don't understand or need help not a bad thing if u don't know how it feels just sit write down pros and cons or what you feel maybe that will help better than holding back waiting you need to get yourself sorted good luck
  • Posted

I have driven on prozac.  It depends upon if you are on a high dosage and a risk on the roads.  I would keep on with the tablets despite your husbands views and hope that things improve.

Richard

• Posted

As a man myself, I can honestly say, men are just beyond stupid when it comes to things like this! they generally have no idea!

• Posted

Most men dont understand ,when I told my hubby he said go back on the happy pills,I told him to look on this site and read about depression and see what experiences people have and only now after reading this site and sitting him down and telling him how I really feel he is starting to understand more.
  • Posted

I'm assuming your GP has suggested commencing Fluoxetine. I am taking that myself, my GP was very helpful with advice on taking it, monitoring me and my mood at least every 2 weeks and adjusting the dose if required. He also explained that I would need to take it for a minimum of 6-9 months but the length of time i will be taking it depends on how I respond.

Good luck with your decision 

• Posted

Im on them and I was told not to drive because I cant seem to concentrate as much as I used to ,Im finding them helpful,I used to have a high sex drive but not bothered now , my husband seems to be happy about that(,probably saying yes im leaving him alone) lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.